Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had new tyres (toyo teo plus) put on my 33, i needed an alignment but asked the tyre guys to check for any wear before they did an alignment they found that all the front end bushes had worn. so off to the alfa shop i went, 90 odd bucks on new bushes for the front end (6 in total). today i TRIED to install them. took the transverse bar off (i think thats what its called its the one sitting by the wheel in the pictures) couldnt for the life off me get this bush out was hitting it and all sorts then tried using a g clamp and dads like be careful its just chinese crap so im like whatever dad not gonna happen. note to self listen to dads life experience a quarter of a turn later it exploded shooting at great speeds in to directions narrowly missing my alfa and the kombi van. eek. so i eventually used a gear puller (bush pusher ) to push the bush out. this said though there is no way in hell i can do this under the car to the other 2 bushes and i cannot get the new bush in now i know there meant to be tight but the new bush is notably bigger than the old. is this normal and are there any tricks to installing and removing these bushes i really need help as i want to do this asap before i ruin the new tyres. cheers harry
heres the photo link
Pictures by dirty_harry_123 - Photobucket
sorry about the double up on photos i forget to upoad the photoshoped ones first and cannot b bothered sifting through and making a new album
oh and the arrows indicate the bushes im talking about.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The new bush does look bigger - are you sure its the correct one?

If the bushes are the correct size then one thing you can try is to put the bush in the freezer over night - the metal will contract a bit making them slightly smaller and easier to fit

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the guy in the spares place in adelaide is pretty clued up and new exactely what i was talking about. he did mention that they would be a bit bigger but should go in easily enough. i just measured the hole the old bush and the new bush. the diameters are as follows new 42mm old 40mm and the hole is 39.5mm. 42 mm is just too big i think so ill call him in the morning and see if he has any words of advice if not its in the freezer for them and the emery paper to chamfer one end. it might help.
cheers harry
but surely someones done this job before
oh and thanks for your help
edit: will the freezer effect the rubber i.e. make it crack or something similar

·
Registered
725 Posts
Difficult now you have bought the bushes but Superflex and Powerflex bushes are much easier to fit. For the standard rubber bushes, Alfa had a 'special tool' shaped a bit like an ice cream cone which shrank the bush when it was pressed in.
Having said that, there are 6 bushes used in the front suspension 3 each side (+anti-roll bar on some cars). I think that there are 2 different sized bushes for the various holes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply. i will contact the shop i bout them off and see if they are infact the right ones if not i shall return them and maybe get some super flex or power flex. any idea were i might get them in australia? do thy have a website? thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
done it! well 1 of 6 took all day and a hell dodge puller (nut and bolt) with other bits of **** jammed around the place but 1 down 6 to go and 4 of the 5 remaining have to be done under the car arg not looking forward to this. il document how i did it all later for others to see might just help someone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts