Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, all!

Forgive my laziness searching for old threads about this, but I found some and still find the subject inconclusive, and it's also a nice way to chat again with you all.

yesterday I had an unfortunate, disgraceful hit at slow speed on the back of a Corsa of an old lady, just after getting my precious (156 mk1) from an engine oil/filter change at the workshop. my fault of course. only noticed her back when was already hitting. no injuries.

well, the damage is not that awful. the worst bits are a bent front bumper bracket and the metal frame in front.

I have some hope of fixing her myself.

my questions are... can I remove the front bumper without lifting the car and removing the wheels? how easy is the job?

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Difficult to get enough access to remove the bumper without having the car on axle stands, I think. To get at the torx bolts that secure the sides of the bumper to the wing you really need to release at least the front part of the inner arch liner - and even then its fiddly.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
ok, never done a 156 but going to assume its similar to a GT, excuse if I am wrong..

for what its worth here is my procedure..no need to jack up,remove wheels or put on axle stands...

step one ) turn steering wheel full right lock,pull away the wheel arch liner, there are small screws holding it in place, this allows you to access the two T30 torx bolts on the underside of the bumper attaching it to the wing, remove both..full left lock and repeat the other side.

step two) you can without getting under the car see all the torx bolts on the underside, (think there are 6) undo these next.

step three) lift up the bonnet to access the 4 torx bolts on the slam panel remove the two outer's and leave the middle ones loosened, give the bumper a tug and see if it free's up and that you haven't missed any.

step four ) undo last two torx bolts and get a mate to help you remove it if you can as you have a 3 pin connection to the indicators which you will need to undoing, it is also quite easy to scratch the body work as you remove and replace the bumper , especially if you have not done it before.

takes me 10 minutes now after a few goes at it.

I can't imagine the 156 is hugely different...good luck!

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
156 has 3 torx bolts to the wing on the offside, 2 plus a "sprimg clip" connection on the nearside.....

I guess you can do it that way - depends how good you are with unscrewing bolts you can't see or feel ;)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Im ok If I cant see em..but both invisible and undetectable is beyond my capabilities!

Axle stands it is then..:)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies. will try joey's trick first and then jack it up.
looks like aircon is leaking oily fluid from the front of the car? where can it be from?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, thanks for all your help, but as soon as I started removing some bits, looked deeper, and is a much greater mess than I'm able to deal with :depressed:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts