Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the frame for the front bumper on the GTV known for being weak? Only I see a few GTV's that have a gap as if the bumper has dropped.

DOes this happen over time or does it represent a hard front ender?

Is this something that can be fixed or does the weight of the bumper distort the frame over time and make it unfixable?

Any experience or knowledge appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Mike, from what I've read and heard it can happen from a slight knock as the bumper is quite heavy, rather than a heavy front ender. Just wanted to get confirmation if anyone else has this problem too and has had it seen too. Mines been like it since I've had it. It wasn't as noticeable when I got it though so its possible someones bumped me in a car park by mistake or it does weaken over time!! Hmm.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
The bumper is a sylph-like piece of high-imapct plastic, suspended delicately, like gossamer threads, from a 4" wide steel girder.

It won't pull the bumper frame down, even if you sat a rugby team on it. Any distortion would suggest that the bumper has been off at some point and not properly lined up or indeed, some kind of "collision" (maybe even a light tap) that has dislodged the bumper on its mountings.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you will see lots of this bumper sag displayed because of the tendency of the engine to suddenly go to sleep. this causes two things 1 :- owners will attach the towing eye and proceed to pull the car, this inturn can damage the bumper mounting by causing twisting inside. 2 :- whilst engine is sleeping owners will then tend to take off the bumper to allow ease of access to engine, so as to give a tickle to awaken. the bumper may then not re align with the bolts properly and so forth.

·
Registered
111 Posts
According to the manual, did I tell you I just got one on CDROM, it's a doddle.

There are two holes/access points, one below each headlamp, that allow access to the mounting bush fixings. It's 'simply' a matter of raising/lowering the setting to align the bumper.

Whether there will be enough range in the adjustment, when you have old saggy bushes, only time will tell.

Cheers,

Blakie

BTW - Did I tell you I just got a copy of the manual on CDROM ??? :p

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't sound like it should be too bad to sort as long there's enough range in adjustment going on! I wonder what caused my particular sag! Anywho, I'll get me hands dirty and see if I can't sort it.

Blakie, when you getting this manual on CD?! :lol: Useful info there thanks.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ben

A

·
0 Posts
Mine is doing that. To the near side the bumper is slightly lower. The bumper has just been off at the body shop for a repaint. Just poor refitting i guess. It is back in for more paintwork on monday as they scratched the door. Have to pull them up on this as well.
Rubbish! One day everything will work.
Running costs since Dec £2877 grr......
Should have bought a push bike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts