Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I think I maybe very, very lucky to not have had an accident! But I need a bit of advice to confirm this;

I was pottering along in traffic last night with the window down when I noticed a ticking sound coming from the driver side front wheel. It sounded like a pebble stuck in the tyre tread which I presumed would pop out in a mile or two (I have a gravel driveway so it's quite normal). But 20 miles later it was still making the noise, so I pulled over and inspected all the tyres and could see nothing in the tyres.

I started to think that maybe it was a wheel bearing needing replacement, so I decided to take a look this morning. I removed the front right wheel to give the hub a check over and got a bit of a shock when I put my hand on the brake disk, it was wobbling on the hub, i.e. 4-5mm deflection laterally! At the sametime I noticed there was no securing pin showing through the disk. I was able to rotate the disk back and forwards on the hub without the hub turning too!!!

So I'm now thinking, this doesn't make sense, surely I'm wrong, because if the disk is able to rotate freely on the hub, it means that when I'm braking the disk will just lock and spin on the hub and then I should get a huge pull to the left when the other side bites. So I pulled the passenger side wheel off to inspect it....guess what? no securing pin on that disk either! :wow:

Now, when I bought the car 3 months ago the first thing I noticed on the test drive was how poor the brakes were, but having read this forum and many other buyers guides I had heard that the GTV brakes were really poor as standard and just put it down to this - with an intention to upgrade fairly soon. Now I'm thinking I'm lucky not to have had a serious accident, having just back brakes!

Do the securing pins shear very often? What are the chances of both sides shearing off as appears to have happened to me? Am I looking at drilling out the sheared pins or more likely new hubs???

Cheers,

(Lucky) David.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thats how the brake discs are mounted. Mine is the same, free movemetn when the wheel is of. Those small guide pins can and can not be, just eases the mounting of wheel. I only check the wheel bolts for tighteness from time to time.
As for the brakes beeing sluggish and ineffective - common problem on gtv. Can be cured with pair of new brake disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeah, I've never been entirely happy with them either. Thinking of upgrading to the AD ones when due for replacement.

·
0 Posts
mine doesn't have them - the wheel bolts do the job
to improve brakes, try bleeding & fitting good pads on the front (i have ds2500's on mine)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, that all makes sense, but what's the point of the securing pin at all then? I was about to order a set of the DS2500's anyway (and will do now).

I've remounted the wheels and gone for a short drive, the ticking noise has stopped now :confused: so I'm wondering if the existing brake pads were simply rubbing off the disk and my rocking of the disk has pushed the pad back into place. Does this suggest a sticky piston in the caliper???

D.

·
0 Posts
i think the stud is just for alignment purposes - dunno about the ticking - mebee the wheel bolts weren't fully tightened?

R

·
0 Posts
Don't get too carried away with the internet scare stories about poor brakes. Sure, a GTV is heavy, but the brembos are massive. As long as the pads, disks, fluid and brake lines are in good condition your brakes will be great. Your stopping distances will only be limited by the tyre grip. You should be able to force the abs to work, even with good tyres. Save your cash IMO, and just fix the standard components.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't get too carried away with the internet scare stories about poor brakes. Sure, a GTV is heavy, but the brembos are massive. As long as the pads, disks, fluid and brake lines are in good condition your brakes will be great. Your stopping distances will only be limited by the tyre grip. You should be able to force the abs to work, even with good tyres. Save your cash IMO, and just fix the standard components.
Fully agreed. But gtv abs is also known for being far too agresive. Anyways, Fitting good pads (new discs if needed) and bleeding sytem/renewing liquid will be enough for most gtv owners.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Chaps,

Maybe I'm just being paranoid about stopping distances, but the brakes on my car are the worst I've ever experienced. Hopefully the new DS2500's and braided lines will restore my faith in the Brembos abilities. I've been a bit spoiled in recent times having had the use of my brothers track prepped Elise which stops well (and weighs v.little).

At least the ticking has gone and everything seems to be back to normal for now. Typical 24hr Alfa fault that fixes itself I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Fully agreed. But gtv abs is also known for being far too agresive. Anyways, Fitting good pads (new discs if needed) and bleeding sytem/renewing liquid will be enough for most gtv owners.
Really?My ABS only kicks in when i give the pedal a hell of a squeezing?And even then the wheels give out a quick chirp before the ABS takes over.Could this be because i have EBC drilled/grooved discs and green(yeah yeah should be red) pads?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My brakes were hopeless when I first got the car, but this was due to disc wear. Replacing the pads and discs (ordinary Mintex off e-bay) has resulted in strong brakes, although there seems to less servo assistance than other cars. The only problem with the cheaper discs is that I rather over-used them one night recently, it seems one may have warped slightly. Normal sensible usage they were fine.

W

·
0 Posts
Okay, that all makes sense, but what's the point of the securing pin at all then? I was about to order a set of the DS2500's anyway (and will do now).

D.
It holds the disc on whilst you fanny around with everything else until you get the wheel back on, stopping you inadvertantly knocking it to the floor. Also, makes sure that the holes in the disc line up with the hub threads, otherwise bolting the wheel on would be difficult. Strictly speaking not essential, but makes life a tad easier.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks Chaps,

Maybe I'm just being paranoid about stopping distances, but the brakes on my car are the worst I've ever experienced.
They're the least-servoed brakes I've ever come across, and take a while to get used to. To improve matters I fitted braided hoses all round with 5.1 fluid just to get things a little better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Where can one procure braided hoses for the TS?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts