Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was thinking of getting a pair of Feredo DS2500 for the front brakes on my GTV. Can I leave the original pads on the rear or do I need to change them to performance pads as well? They seem to be in good condition and since the Fredeo pads don’t come for free I rather just leave them for now if it doesn’t mess up the brake balance etc.

Best regards....

/Olle

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
Rear brakes don't do much on a FWD car, std rear pads will be fine.
The main thing to get good balance is that the rears don't grab before the fronts.

Fronts will be FCP721H

Remember to follow the bedding-in procedure for the DS2500, it is VERY different to normal road pad bedding-in...!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Keep the old brake pads, most of the braking is carried out by the front brakes and if you use to "hard" rear brake pads you can get problems with the handbrake not having enough "bite".

:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick reply David,

Good to hear that I can leave the rear pads alone, I figured that they don’t do much good anyway... :)

I suppose the bedding-in procedure will come with the pads, but can you give me an insight on the bedding-in procedure of the DS2500?

Regards

/Olle

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
From the box.

Ferodo Brake Bedding-in Procedure:

To achieve optimum performance from Ferodo Racing brake pads please follow the instructions below:

Perform 25 to 30 trial brake applications, each of approximately 4 seconds, using around 50% of normal race pedal pressure. To shorten the procedure applications can be made along the straights as well as through bends.
On completion of trial applications return to the pit lane. Inspect the surface of the brake pads from the two wheels which have been working the hardest. There should be evidence of contact over the full pad area but without glazing. The pads are now ready to race.
Whilst we recommend that pads are inspected, if time does not allow this, assuming procedure (1) has been carried out and a short period of time has elapsed to allow the brake system to cool, the pads will be ready to race.
Important: to optimize the performance and life of both brake pads and discs, during the bedding-in period heat in the braking system should be built up progressively. Pad wear inspection: brake pads must have at least 2mm of friction material. Excessively worn brake pads must be replaced. Thermal paint temperature control. Using this procedure, if none of the 3 paints has changed appearance and the braking performance is not considered satisfactory, it may be necessary to reduce cooling to the discs. If all 3 paints have changed appearance, it may be necessary to increase cooling to the discs.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
and
...using around 50% of normal race pedal pressure...
means VERY hard, close to emergency braking levels.

A quiet industrial estate is ideal or a closed airport runway if you have one handy!

The procedure is so extreme that they will be bedded-in within 10-minutes if you do it right.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
and
means VERY hard, close to emergency braking levels.

A quiet industrial estate is ideal or a closed airport runway if you have one handy!

The procedure is so extreme that they will be bedded-in within 10-minutes if you do it right.
:thumbs:

Brutal brake bed-in. :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks - this actually sounds fun... :)

Any suggestions where to buy them, I suppose they are less expensive in the UK than in Sweden (or anywhere else outside Sweden) - webbshops with international shipping etc.?

/Olle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I understand it the DS2500 doesn’t come with any pad wear sensors, doesn’t that mean that the warning light will be turned on? If so, can the sensor be switched of somehow?

/Olle

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
With no sensors, the light does not come on.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
Just make sure the wire that would connect to the pad sensor is insulated and safely tied out of the way.
If it shorts to earth, the light will come on.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Pad wear "sensors" are just two cables shorting against the brake disc when the brake pads have worn down, as David C says no "sensor" - no warning light.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Im thinking of getting these also. Do people think it will increase braking performance significantly ? like 25-50% perhaps?

Also will these Ferodo pads go straight into the OEM Calipers and disks? My Mechanic says its better to get Cross Drilled Disks which will be better I guess but I dont want to go to such expense but just want to get good braking performance better than the OEM. Im hoping just getting the Ferodo Pads themselves will help at least without going to the expense of getting new cross drilled disks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi, may be a bit late for this but I put Ferodo DS Performance up front on my GTV V6 last year with stnd EBC vented discs, braided hoses and gave it all a good flush with ATE Super Blue fluid. Brakes fantastic with no fade.
The DS Performance are a good compromise, very good from cold with excellent "Performance". Interestingly if you can't get hold of GTV pads then Ford Focus RS pads are the same shape but slightly thinner lining and no wear indicators.
I can't recommend highly enough a good quality racing fluid, you can have the best braking system in the world but if your fluid is boiling they'll do nowt.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hi, may be a bit late for this but I put Ferodo DS Performance up front on my GTV V6 last year with stnd EBC vented discs, braided hoses and gave it all a good flush with ATE Super Blue fluid. Brakes fantastic with no fade.
The DS Performance are a good compromise, very good from cold with excellent "Performance". Interestingly if you can't get hold of GTV pads then Ford Focus RS pads are the same shape but slightly thinner lining and no wear indicators.
I can't recommend highly enough a good quality racing fluid, you can have the best braking system in the world but if your fluid is boiling they'll do nowt.
Hope this helps :)

Alright Simon :) How are things?
Are you coming to the big meet in May? - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/uk-n...as-to-north-wales-and-the-evo-triangle-2.html

The DS pads are good, I had a set of the 2500's on my 156 and never got them to fade once :eek:
I've got a set now waiting to go on the V6 :)

The only problem I had with them was that they would squeel at low speeds if you didn't get them hot every once in a while - my commute was a 60 mile round trip, mostly traffic, so if I didn't use them hard enough the last 5/10 miles of that trip they would be squeelling :mad:
Still that hasn't put me off getting another set for the V6 :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update,

Well, winter is finally gone and it’s time to take the car out for the premiere spin of the season. First thing to do is the bedding in of the new pads. A very early start on Saturday morning to avoid traffic, find a quiet road and then get on with it. After ten minutes of hard breaking I´m sick to my stomach (the bedding in process is rock´n roll - like riding a roller coaster...) and the front brakes are literally smoking. But what a difference!! The DS2500 combined with braided hoses makes a huge difference compared to original – I can only join all of those on this forum who recommend this upgrade, it is fantastic….!! :thumbs:

Olle

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since we're talking brakes, has anyone tried EBC Turbogroove discs + Red Stuff pads? I'm planning on getting those on my TS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts