Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just put my GT 3.2 back on the road after a year on SORN (only so many cars I can drive at once...). It was always a bit noisy since I bought it, but now it is making a horrible drone that gets louder with speed and has nothing to do with the wonderful Busso. I suspect at least one of the front bearings is shot, though knowing my luck it'll be outer cv joints or possibly the entire driveshaft. The car was a bit of a mess when I got it, so some money will need to be spent.

Looking at new bearings, I see Shop4Parts have three versions, LBP, SKF and Genuine Alfa, ranging from £33 to £145. The question is - are those cheap LBPs a good saving, or is it a case of buy cheap buy twice (or three times)? The car's only likely to do a few thousand miles this year, then I'll put it back in the shed and wheel out the sportwagon again.

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Can't comment on quality, but I too know SKF as a brand. The bearings will be the same as a v6 but you need to factor in new abs sensors into your costs as they need to be removed to change the bearing and 99% of the time they will not come out in one piece.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
We use SKF throughout our production line, where failure is not an option.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like a thumbs up for SKF then. Thanks for the warning about the abs sensors, Chris. I guess that just about doubles the cost of the job... :depressed:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts