Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

Just had my used Giulietta through the carwash, and the frontal badge started to peel off. Must have been the high pressure water... Anyway, its 9 years old so the previous owner also gave me the new replacement badge for free. Hooray! :D

However, this is the only good news. I am kind of dissaponted that the badge has zero protection from the elements, you can literally feel the paint layers when you glide over it with a finger. No wonder high pressure water almost sandblasted it. My question: how to protect it? Clearcoat spray, foil...? I dont want to glue a new one on, just to have it damaged straight away... :(

·
Registered
35,406 Posts
That badge could be a decal off an eBay site because the owner had not fitted the one he gave to you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean, the one that got blasted today is the eBay one? i highly doubt it. Both, the old and the new one, look and feel exactly the same and so do the badges on the same aged Giuliettas i have seen at the dealership i visited today. Except the fact that the old one is already slightly faded and the gold color is kind of bronze-ish.

·
Registered
35,406 Posts
A monochrome badge , as on all other marques of car, may last longer but 9 years is pretty good for a beautiful multicoloured badge!

·
Registered
38,153 Posts
Usually the clear plastic coating comes off in one piece and then the colours wear away afterwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean the manually applied coating? Because the badge as it comes has no coating.

I doubt that it comes of in one piece if it is sprayed on though. :unsure:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi
I bought new badges cheap off ebay and applied several coats of clear and baked briefly in oven each coat application...they're still perfect and very glossy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
I bought new badges cheap off ebay and applied several coats of clear and baked briefly in oven each coat application...they're still perfect and very glossy
Interesting. How long ago was that and at which temp and for how long did you bake them? I wouldnt want to burn it or destroy the oven. :LOL:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Paid like £8 for two badges so wasn't gonna be end of the world if it went wrong tbh...think it was about 180 c ...but just very warm top oven for a minute or so...been on over a year and they look great....I used Simonz clear coat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts