Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The aim of this thread is to give people who do not have access to a garage 'pit' or 'lift' an alternative solution to replace the front arb bushes of a all TS, JTD & 2.5 V6 156's & 147's ..... except GTA verions.

NOTE 1: YES i'm aware it can be done by dropping the sub-frame in much the same time ......similar to the method used by Chris155 in this thread:

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34357

NOTE 2: If the Anti sway collars are approx 4mm wide & made of STEEL this procedure cannot be ccarried out. You will need to drop the sub-frame.

=======================================================

Today I replaced the front ARB bushes of my car in approx 3 hours..... next time i'd be faster because today i was finding my way thro the process & tkaing pictures too.

I used uprated Polyurethane 22mm bushes, which i can supply to people here for €35 a kit.

No need to drop the sub-frame.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/alfenia20l/mods/front-arb/old-new.jpg

======================================================

Rough Guide below.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
If you could do a how to guide I'd be very grateful.

I have replaced the steering rack by dropping subframe and I really wouldn't like to do it again :)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any questions feel free to ask as a few step I didn;t take picture of the step.

========================================================
!!! MANY DIFFERENT TOOLS REQUIRED !!!

Wheels x 2 off, support with axel stands, if you don;t know how, STOP HERE!!!

In breif the following must occur. Remove the Lower wishbones & then slide the ARB out to each side in order to replace the worn bush.

To do this you must:

1. Track Rod Ends opened/splitt x 2, use 17mm socket to open nut & Sissors Splitter.

2. Drops links opened x 2, 17mm socket.

3.Upper wishbone ball joint split/opened, use 17mm socket to open nut & Sissors Splitter.

Similar to 2. above

4. Tuning Fork opened & removed, 10mm Allen Socket with 1/2" drive.

5. Lower wishbone ball joint split/opened, use 22mm socket to open nut & Sissors Splitter.

Similar to 2. above

6. Inner bolts, x 8, remove from both lower wishbones, 15mm

7. Remove Lower Wishbones from front hub x 2, can be tricky.

8 Support hub & caliper x 2

9. loosely tie up steering rod ends x 2

10. Open 4 ARB bolts, 13mm

11. using a flat head screwdriver break off the existing bakeilite collars

12. Spray WD40 onto the ARB to allow the bush to slide outwards, start at passengers side.

13. when the bush & bracket at the the bend of the arb & at 90 deg to its normal position then drill out the 'rivet' with a 13mm drill

NOTE: only drill as deep as the top of the threads.

14. When finished use a flat head screwderiver to split the 'rivet'

15. Rotate the lower arm of this bracket 90 degs to allow the bush to be removed

ARB with old bush removed:

Fitting was basically the reverse of removal.

Old V's New:

Finally New Bush fitted & 'Split Collar' fitted to keep ARB in place from swaying.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/alfenia20l/ebay/bushes-collars.jpg

========================================================

Any one wishing to buy a 'KIT' feel free to drop me a PM.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes plenty of room, i used a black & decker 900w.

when doing it again i'd drill the front hole rather than the back hole,

when re-fitting it'd be easier to manipulate the front of the bracket than the rear of it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I was told by Indy today that the anti roll bar and bush are all one unit and you cant change them, so I told him you can buy bush for £30 and drill the rivet out :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Did a similar jobbie on the rear ARB of the 166. The split collars are available from RS Components (as you suggest, a bit nicer than the jubilee clip). 20mm collar is Pt. No. 289-9751, other sizes available.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Did a similar jobbie on the rear ARB of the 166. The split collars are available from RS Components (as you suggest, a bit nicer than the jubilee clip). 20mm collar is Pt. No. 289-9751, other sizes available.
Where are the bushes from ? I've looked at the powerflex website, but it doesn't list ARB items (at least for me).

EDIT>> no matter, found them on two sites, thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
If it took 3 hours to do your way you might as well have dropped the the subframe which takes about the same time.......

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whats that broken collar? It's after number 11 in your how to.
its one of two bakeilite collars glued to the arb as standard

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
personaly i would just drop the subframe only takes 20 mins

in order to drop the sub frame you need to remove the down pipe, then drop the gear stick tunnel, also the steering rack & rear engine mounts have to be removed or lossened..... alot more than 20 mins

dropping is eay, lift back up & re-aligning is the issue

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it took 3 hours to do your way you might as well have dropped the the subframe which takes about the same time.......
the stress factor is alot less for those without access to a lift or pit.

also now i've done it once I'm sur ethat the next time would be faster.:p

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where are the bushes from ? I've looked at the powerflex website, but it doesn't list ARB items (at least for me).

standard or uprated?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

1. The 166 has alot of space around it but on a 156 the arb is located quite close to the lower wishbone REAR mount.

see pic in this link:

2. any collar with an O.D of > 40mm *could* end up hitting this wishbone mount causing vibrations/squeeks to travel from the car's suspension as the arb rotates during its normal operation.

see link above.

3. even with an appropriately made collar/jubilee clip the direction at which the bolt heads are orintated is important.

You got to take into account that the arb can rotate from approx the 7 o'c position to the 10 o'c which is equal to the min to max travel off the suspension. So its important that the bolt head cannot get caught in the wishbone's rear mount.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts

As you said it doesn't list them specifically for the 156 but these are probably their standard arb bushes.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they are not on powerflex.co.uk website

1 - 20 of 150 Posts