Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iwonder , is the v6 a/r bar bigger/stiffer on v6 due 2 heaver v6 than on 16v. could be fitted to stiffen frount end on the smaller cars Eibach ar bars on the cheep :D :D
............narlo..........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry narlo,
Just looked at parts cd and the widebody
1.8 & 2.0 16V shares the same anti roll bar
with the widebody V6 frown

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a thicker one available for the skinny V6, it's 23mm as against 22mm part no 7760405, which I believe is also the one for the 155Q4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skinny,s are probally easeyer 2 get hold of.
wonder if 1mm on frount + 2mm on rear would make that much difference as opposed 2 all that greif,as I tell 'er indoors it's all about girth :rolleyes: :D
anyone know thickness of Eibach bars ?
...........narlo.......

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you change the bars you can change the understeer/oversteer characteristics of the car.I think putting an uprated rear bar on only, for example, will negate some of the understeer prevalent on front wheel drive. Now I may have that the wrong way round so if anyone knows better......

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found that 155's tend to be biased towards understeer. I you wanted to dial in a bit more oversteer.........

Disconnect one of the anti roll bar drop links on the front bar. Very lairy cornering guarenteed.

Put a thicker roll bar on the back

Soften the front springs

Stiffen the rear springs

Basicly what you are trying to acheive is a greater transfer of weight / inertia to the front of the car. This will make the front grip harder than the rear and cause the back end to slide more readily. Definately more fun but not something you want on a motorway sliproad in the dark, in the rain. (hello armco, havn't seen you for a while).

Generally lowering a car will inprove grip though the elimination of body roll but will introduce more understeer into the equation as a trade off because there is less front/rear weight transfer. I found that this wasn't the case when i lowered mine with eibach springs. I think this was because lowering a car also alters the suspension geometry, on the 155 it introduced a lot of negative camber on the front wheels. Which in turn increased front end grip. Hence less understeer.

If you really want oversteer, buy a 205GTi or an E30 BMW M3. Both will teach you the art of going round a roundabout sideways and introduce you to their best mates Harry Hedge and Derek Ditch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Barry:
There is a thicker one available for the skinny V6, it's 23mm as against 22mm part no 7760405, which I believe is also the one for the 155Q4
The Q4 one is different as it has got a hump in it to get over the front diff/prop shaft. You may want to take a look at one from a Dedra Turbo though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

this is the uprated roll bar i fitted to henrys car....you will have to ask him for the lowdown on how it performs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris155 good 2 hear from U again , wot's happening with u'r 155 ,insurance sorted , repairing, it breaking it ?
On the subject of "Wally wall,Kevin kerb", when I was young-er , dum-er and full of -er ,spun a RS2000 ended up reversing down road at 50+ into......"Timothy telegraph-pole." :mad: :D 1side at back looked like a Cinquecento!! :(
As 4 a/roll bars just a thought ,improve things from partsbin (scrap yard) :)
...........narlo.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Narlo. The 155 is still eek! on the drive at the moment. Its starting to cause problems as we have space on the drive for 2 cars, and the rest go on the street. We have (deep breath) a Alfa 155, Alfa 156 1.6, Alfa 156 V6, Alfa 145QV :D , and a Citroen Xsara VTS. As you can imagine, the neighbours arn't impressed especially the ones who can't drive properly. It takes one woman a good five minutes to back in to her drive every night because my 145 is parked half on the road opposite.

Oh yeah the 155, an assesor from Mr. Rolls Royce man came around a week ago. I'm still waiting to hear, but if they're sending people around to look at it its looking hopefull. I'll keep the 155 when they do pay out and break it. I'm having the engine out of it for the 145 if it'll fit - the egr systems are different, and sell the 145's engine with a noisy variator. As for the rest of it - i'll be selling bits through this site.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Anti roll bars..... **** and blanket come to mind!!

They are fantastic. I think the Eibach is 26mm from memory (Jimybob measured its girth before he slipped it in eek! )
I just need to get back down to Peterboro so he can sort my rear out and adjust my front bush!!!!

... and then there are the mods to the 155 too!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah cause its a yank site,
there too busy worrying about
rice rockets and yank tanks,
to give a fig about cars with
soul and finesse :rolleyes:

Give the UK HQ a call,they do
do them for 155's and i can't imagine
them being that expensive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.