Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As well as numerous other bits I have sorted on the car over the past week, I was pretty impressed at replacing the front and rear anti-roll bars from standard to the Eibach kit. The difference in handling is unbeliveable, and anyone considering upgrading their bars I would definately recommend the Eibach setup.

However, I still have a knock from the front nearside, normally when pulling away from a standstill. Which is exactly the same problem I had prior to changing the roll bars. The cause of the knock - I noticed that the nearside drop link was hitting the suspension fork.

I also replaced the drop links with the new roll bar, but must admit, I have used QH pattern drop links, and I believe that the same is happening with these droplinks. I'm sure someone on the forum mentioned that it is worth using the OEM drop links with the Eibach bar.

Just to add, I have now replaced the following on the front suspension:

- Steering Rack
- Powerflexed Upper Wishbones
- Lower Wishbones
- Eibach ARB
- Koni Shock Absorbers & Springs
- Strut Top Mounts
- ARB Drop Links
- Track Rod Ends

...so the whole front setup is like brand new.

As a last resort, would it be worth giving the OEM drop links a go?

Many Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I would say yes its the pattern drop links - I had the same problem with mine and now I'm using an original Alfa set with my Eibach's. The non OEM ones I had stuck out about 5mm further than the OEM ones.

There is no problem at the rear it just the front. Also did you set the rear bar to the stiffer setting, thats where mine is with the drop link attached to the inner hole on the bar

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pascs, I am definately thinking the same, so I will order OEM drop links straight away.

With regards to the rear bar, I have adjusted to the stiffer setting, and I am very impressed by the results. I think the Koni sport kit (shocks and springs) and the Eibach ARB setup works very well. I once had a Delta HF Turbo which had suspension mods like the Alfa now has, but I was running the car on Yokohama A048 tyres and the handling was incredible. I am wondering, disregarding the tyre wear rate on Yokohamas, whether or not these tyres would have the same effect on the Alfa!?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, I have fitted the new ARB droplinks from Alfa Romeo, and the knocking noise I am getting is still there.

Pascs you were right, the OEM drop links as supplied by Alfa Romeo do not stick out as much as the pattern ones I was using, but with regards to this knocking noise I am now totally stumped.

I have replaced every single part on the front suspension now, with the exception of the fork, so I have absolutely no idea what this knocking sound is - on closer inspection, it is coming from the nearside footwell area and only occurs when pulling away from a standstill. Apart from this, the car drives and handles absolutely spot on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surely a worn engine/gearbox mount would cause a vibration though wouldn't it?

·
Registered
651 Posts
seems youve done everything apart from the upper wishbones?

have you been using original alfa parts?

i had a knock coming from the neaside front on take off, turned out to be failed lower wishbone, sorted with a replacment

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have done the upper wishbones, I have also used Powerflex bushes with them and used original Alfa Romeo arms.

I have honestly never known a car like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts