Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys,

i must be going mad, im getting married next month, still need to buy the ring, pay the mortgage off and pay back money that i have borrowed, but still considering giving my GT 1.9 in and going for a GTV V6!

i really need to be talked out of it, i do about 10,000 miles per annum and find the
mpg figures of the v6 quite scary yet still cant seem to get over my obsession!

G

·
0 Posts
A must do if you have not owned one, even if it turns out to be too expensive at least you have tried it and you can always sell it and get yourself a 2.0 Twinnie (get a sports exhaust, remap and BMC CDA on one of those and they are much fun!!!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, heres me looking for the opposite, but your all recommending the V6!

My fiance is going to kill me! Hmm, first things first, I'm going to have to replace my turbo, I've got sticky turbo vanes, and then have a serious think about it!

V

·
0 Posts
Nows the time to be buying a V6 as everyone else searches for a super Eco derv prices are very reasonable

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I did the opposite.. A GT V6 to a 2.4D Brera.. And I do miss the V6!

Getting used to the Diesel now, and the boost and low end torque is fun, but I miss pottering around in 6th gear everywhere, the smooth power delivery, and most importantly the noise!! The Brera requires a lot of down shifting and reving to keep the turbo on song, I've been caught out a couple of times off boost pulling out of roundabouts etc, where as the GT would just pull no matter what gear you are in.

As for fuel consumption.. I used to get 28mpg out of the V6. I get 33mpg out of the 2,4d.. V6 every time for me. I'll report back once I save up for a remap :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had my GT remapped with a full sports de-cat custom exhaust, makes a huge difference! (Tom, nicely done, I'll PM you ;) )

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think you'll love it!

For about a month and then think "Oh, sh*te. What have I done! Where's all my beer money gone?"

Then again, you're giving everything else up by getting married so you may as well have SOME fun! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought this exhaust of a Alfa Owner user, after reading his review:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/255545-alfa-gt-jtdm-performance-exhaust-review.html

I'll get some pics up shortly maybe even a audio file trying to get the exhaust note ;)

My mechanic, Jamie from Alfa Worksop told me to 'Stop being mad' and not to consider a V6, but Tom he did compliment your car and said its a beautiful example!

Bezte, I think your right, but she knows nothing about cars and replied with 'Why would you sell your car and buy an older one?" hahaha

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
P.S. Not had it on a rolling road, as when it comes to diesels, I'm not 'all' about the figures, however, supposedly the map should bring out 190bhp, and on a dry day I get slip in gear 1 and 2, and on a wet day I'll get slip in gear 1, 2 and 3. The exhaust definitely makes it 'feel' as if theres less turbo lag, but thats just my opinion and not backed up by any tests. Car now pulls nicely in every gear, even with the faulty turbo.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sold my 159 2.4 derv and bought a 156 GTA. Yes it costs a little more but not too much, is a move that 4 months on I'm still not regretting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah true, but in London, I never really get to plant my foot for too long so I've always got that lovely feeling of the low down torque ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts