Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just dropped my better half off with her friends and was on my way home when the thought came on me. I'm bored of my GT now, it's not all that brilliant on fuel, because I don't do big miles, it's slow(ish) and I don't know, I'm just not feeling it any more. I was thinking of trading it in for an M3 convertible, S4 convertible or a Boxter S, on about an 06. The only one I haven't driven is the S4, but I have driven an RS4 and loved that (who wouldn't). Then I thought to myself... I've got a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo sitting on my driveway that's just sitting there. I had to declare it sorn a few years ago because I couldn't afford the insurance. Being 19 with a group 19-20 insurance isn't an easy feat. So my Dad used it a bit, then it was just left. While it's been on the drive, it's had a full fluid change every 3 months and is regularly started to keep it turning over, although it's overdue a cambelt service so that's going to stop.

So back to my thought... Is it possible to fit the 20vt engine into my JTD GT? I know there's been talk of dropping one in a 156 but I can't seem to find a finished product. Has anyone looked into it as far as the GT is concerned? If this is possible, I'd want to somehow merge it to a 4wd drivetrain. I reckon there's going to be a lot of work involved in it, but I don't know, I'd like to try, I just think that a 4wd 20vt GT has got a really nice ring to it.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
If i were you id get a GT v6!!:cool:
Have you done much to your jtd? remap, chassis ,suspension?
I'm gona be honest i would have got a little bit tired of mine if i had not got said done its a different car. I fell in love again after the remap!
Its got potential the Gt but its far from perfect or complete out of the box/showroom! I am also snookered in that if i changed my GT for another one pref a cloverleaf i would have to spend another small fortune to sort it out again.....lol.
Damien.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you want to stick a Fiat coupe lump into a GT then sell (or swap plus cash in your direction) your jtd and buy a twinspark GT. Fairly easy job (relatively) after that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
By the way - what do you mean by a "full fluid change every three months"?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full fluid change every three months means new Selina oil, a coolant flush and change and a brake fluid change. I know it's overkill, but I've just been doing that, even though it hasn't moved 1 mile in the past 5 years.

My GT is totally standard, nothing at all changed. I honestly don't think I'd buy another GT or swap mine for one, it's either this or sell and get an S4, and get my Fiat back on the road for weekends, or the Fiat engine in this. I don't want the V6, I much prefer to hear the sweet 5 pot burble. If I get a V anything, it'll be a V8 S4.

If I'm going to do this conversion, it's going to be done properly. The 20vt is already around 280bhp+ and it'll be more if it goes in the Alfa, maybe even a 2.4 conversion, so big brakes and coilovers are a dead cert. The lad who'd be building it for me has built a few really good cars. But I'd like to try and figure out a way to fit a Q4 drivetrain, or even go for a 5 speed and see if I can merge Lancia Delta running gear in.

Why would it be easier to drop the new engine in a twinspark? Is it too much of a pain in the back side to change a diesel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts