Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to the GTA gang!:cool:
I test drove a 2002 GTA Sw last week, and was very impressed by how fast that car was compared to my 159 3.2, and sporty and just fun to drive, just what I am missing (I feel like and old man in my 159.. iam only 34), so the next day I put out my 159 for sale, and
this weeks it looks like it will go, but nothing is done before the money changes hands, but the buyer seems very keen after a test drive.

So the hunt for a GTA has started, I have gone through the buyers guide, so will keep that in mind. But there is one thing I would like to ask you, and that is the milage, some of the cars I have my eyes on has gone more than 47,000 miles, one even 94,000 miles. For how long will a engine like this last? will it go for ever as long as you change the cambelt and all that?
And will it be possible to make a 3,7 liter engine out of one engine that has over 60,000miles on it?
One more thing, when did the 330 breaks come out? November 2003, I guess this is on the late 2002 models and forward, or?

Thanks for the help.

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
But there is one thing I would like to ask you, and that is the milage, some of the cars I have my eyes on has gone more than 47,000 miles, one even 94,000 miles. For how long will a engine like this last? will it go for ever as long as you change the cambelt and all that?
Cambelt every 45k really, or 3 years, whichever comes first. For some reason the GTAs seem to break cambelts easier than the other V6s, but its never wise to go the full 72k or 5 years on the V6, that is madness. You need regular oil and filter changes as well, I did mine every 7k (about every 6 months) when I was driving the car everyday, now I am only doing 3k a year in it so will do one oil change a year.

The Arese V6 has been developed and perfected for the last 25 years, they will go on to 250k miles no problems. Just don't rag it till its warm, use good oil and change it regularly, and don't let the cam belt break.

And will it be possible to make a 3,7 liter engine out of one engine that has over 60,000miles on it?
Yes, you will be replacing all the internals that look like they have wear in them at the same time though, which will probably add another couple of hundred quid to the conversion's bill.

One more thing, when did the 330 breaks come out? November 2003, I guess this is on the late 2002 models and forward, or?
I think production stopped for a few months, then the car returned with the bigger breaks. Not sure of the dates. But a lot of 2002 and 2003 cars have the 330mm brakes because they have been upgraded, its not a hard job to upgrade from 305mm to 330mm brakes.

What is your budget for the GTA? There are some 2008 ones for sale at the moment, one in Belfast I think (check Autotrader).

Budget for 2k to be spent immediatly on any GTA you buy though, you should install the Q2 differential straight away as the standard diff is a weakspot for the GTA, and if it breaks you are potentially looking at a new gearbox. Cost of the Q2 is ~£500 fitted, and transforms the car.

A good set of springs and shocks, like Eibach Pro springs and Koni FSDs and upgraded anti-roll bars might then set you back £1200, or if you are a bit more hardcore you could go for coilovers instead.

That's about all the advice I can give you, best of luck with selling your 159 and finding a nice GTA :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you feedback Pud237 - I haven't really put up a budget, but I am going for one of the lower side and instead just put money inn it to get it the way I want it, I am based in Switzerland, so will get one from here. The one I am looking at is a November 2002 model, done about 95,000miles, all service is followed they are saying, with papers on it.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
95,000 miles is alot but not alot if the car has been maintained, the engine should be good for 150,000 or more presuming regular oil changes and top ups as required. I think the engine is the least of your worries presuming the cambelt and ancillaries are changed.

Personally I'd expect it to need or already have had (atleast once if not more) - clutch (big job), all suspension components / bushes, anti-roll bar, radiator, cambelt including tensioners, idlers and waterpump, new shocks. Other areas to look out for are rust on front wings (common but not serious), starter motor and power steering pump. Make sure the car comes upto 90C and stays steady otherwise it'll probably need a new thermostat. 330mm brakes are a bonus but they're not essential in my experience, if the rest of the car is good then the size of the brakes shouldn't stop you buying it.

I'd expect to see some scrapage on the front bumper wing, they sit low and are almost impossible not to scrap (I can't drive my car onto the drive I need to reverse), drivers seat is likely to be quite worn as this goes early, the rest of the interior should be good unless alot of passengers have been carted around, there maybe some wear to drivers carpet, they're often missing sill skirt covers which are cheap to replace.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr Caine - how often do you need to change the clutch?, as you say this is a big job, the biggest task is to lower the gear box down, once that is done it is a easy job to change the clutch, and put in a Q2.
As you mention, there is a lot of small(big..) that needs to be changed, but as long as they sell the car with one year warranty, I have one year to find them all.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Mileage is a lot less of a factor than people make out, IMHO. Condition and service history matter far more - some cars can accrue big mileages through a lot of motorway use but that has very limited wear and tear on the car, except stone chips. Wheras a lot of short journeys, and a lot of owners and some slack servicing, can wreck a care much earlier. Go on condition.

Im my experience moder can engines last forever if well services and run on good oil, suspension bushes and dampers and the like fail, as do rubber pipes, in time. Either get one that has had a lot of work done on it, or get one cosmetically good but needing a fair bit done and drive the price down. But either way get one in great cosmetic condition outside and in...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now the 159 3.2 is sold, it went a lot faster than expected.
And the hunt for a 156 GTA has really started, I am going to have a look at a 2002 156 GTA, 94,000miles.... Mainly on the autobahn from Germany to Italy by and older man.
It looks like new they are saying, so lets see.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi
i may be interested in selling my immaculate alfa 156 GTA, silver, black leather , 47K, brake upgrade,FSH!
please email for more details thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the offer danyal, but I am looking for an LHD version as Alexandrus are saying.

Is there any official web page where alfa romeo says when the cambelt need to be changed? the one I am looking at hade it cambelt changed at 96,000km, in 2005, and has now gone 150,000km, the seller claims it only need to change the cambelt every 120.000km and 5 years, witch I know is wrong, or is it? Is it every 80.000km and 3 years?

A

·
0 Posts
I think it's every 100k km or 3 years, but just to be safe I would change it it around 75k kms or 2 years, depending on where you live. For instance, I live in a very dusty city so I change it every 2 years or so since I never drive more than 10k kms a year.

PS. Have you looked at mobile.de ? There are some very nice low mileage 156 GTAs there, and the price is just right.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am picking up my new car tomorrow. 2002 mod 156 GTA, 68,000km, Rosso Miro, black and brown leather, problem sitting still at the moment. :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear it, hope you'll enjoy it. Do not forget, belts, Q2, suspension ;)

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Good buy !!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The Arese V6 has been developed and perfected for the last 25 years, they will go on to 250k miles no problems. Just don't rag it till its warm, use good oil and change it regularly, and don't let the cam belt break.
What he said...

95,000 miles is alot but not alot if the car has been maintained, the engine should be good for 150,000 or more presuming regular oil changes and top ups as required.
Not what he said...

150k is about half the life of a well serviced V6. 150k is what you would expect a TS to do. 250 to 300k miles from an Arese (miss out the middle e and becomes Arse :D ) V6 is more realistic. Just look at high mileage 164 and 166 V6's and you'll see what I mean.

I am picking up my new car tomorrow. 2002 mod 156 GTA, 68,000km, Rosso Miro, black and brown leather, problem sitting still at the moment. :lol:
CONGRATS!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cambelt will be changed on monday, q2 and suspension will come later.
I ende up with a different car than the first one, so a lot les miles, will post a pic when I get it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts