Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 33 1.4 IE L with 140000 km
2 weeks ago i found one guy that has an unfinished 1.7 16v.
i mean that has a new paint job and an engine fitted but without wiring.
he stopped the project 2 years ago and the car is in this condition all this time.
I have already spent a lot of money in my car so i asked him about selling only the engine and he told me that he sells the whole car for about 300 euros!!!
As he says the engine is in a perfect condition and with a very good service before the installation to his car.

My question is: what i have to do and what i have to take care of in an engine that hasn't work for 2 years before i do the transfer to my car?

K

·
0 Posts
if it hasn't seized up then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
does it turn over by hand (spanner/socket on the front pulley), if so it should be fine.
best to change the fluids and sparks, and also have a look at the cam-belts and tensioners. they can age even while being stood not running.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
get the car for the 300 anyway, its a good deal even if the engine needs repairs.

you can get the engine, gearbox, exhaust manifolds, power steering rack, fuel tank, ecu and wiring, front crossmember , brakes etc etc from this car ;)

Perfect ideal solution for a proper upgrade of your own :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey mate

The wiring is not installed, or it's missing? If the latter, it's not so easy to find a 16v loom in Greece...

As for the service part, i'll be getting my second (yes, second, hear that Chris? :p) 16v within the week, hasn't moved for 2 years. I'm devastated between a good service (belts-tensioners-pulleys, spark plugs, filters and fluids engine-wise) or a complete engine rebuild. Rebuild is a bit extreme, but a good service is required. If it's the one with dics on the rear, get the complete axle too.

Eitherway I'll post a pictorial thread here, there's a lot to be done in both cars, and i think it's worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys,
The wiring is just not installed, not missing
I ll buy the car, even if the engine isn't working. there are plenty of parts that i m gonna use.
If the engine needs a total rebuild i ll keep it in my garage to restore it easy easy, besides my 1.4 engine is still working.

yes it is the one with 4 discs. It also has a set of koni yellow shocks and HR springs that i m going to keep.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for not answearing guys.
i m in the town of this garage. i live with a friend of mine. tonight is my last time that i ll ride my car.
tomorow starts the serius job
i ll drive my car after 7-10 days.

wish me luck guys....

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
I was just watching this thread with Alfa_Sprint_16v ( George ) and we noticed that you have rear disk brakes with ABS !

They are no good. Take them off, and ship them to Cyprus :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts