Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Gents

So we came down for our annual time share to Ballito yesterday in the GQV.
My experience.

The Bad
Heads up- Dont speed, 5 physical laser operators mostly before Warden and someway after Ladysmith on this specific day, many other experiences is that Heidelberg is a hot spot..
2 road blocks- the one was a biggin with temporary parking bays and the whole story. Many cars were parked.
Fortunately for me the car in front and behind were pulled off, I say fortunately as my drivers card expired on 25Sep and havent done a renewal yet.

If my memory serves me correctly the 'Average Speed Prosecution Cameras' are now plotted from just after DeHoek plaza and all the way- do these even work???

They've taken the fun out of the drive to the coast

The Good:
The GQV is a blessing to drive, 6th gear all the way in Allweather mode, average speed 105 on the indicator- driving between 120-135 and up to 140, with 3 adults, a full load + some on the back seat.
Average fuel consumption good @ 7.2 and maxed @ 7.4L/100Kms on 225/40/18s Pirelli PZero Rosso- tyre pressure 2.5bar front and 2,3 rear.

Thinking I should increase the pressures to say 2.7 F and 2.5 R for better economy, would this work without being over inflated??

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Very good fuel consumption.
You can't escape tge KZN revenue generators.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Thinking I should increase the pressures to say 2.7 F and 2.5 R for better economy, would this work without being over inflated??
I would say 2.7 is a bit OTT. You might pick up wear in the middle of the tread.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
True what Springbok says. Some cars are sensitive that way. On the 159 the recomended pressures are 2.7 and 2.5 but increasing this to 2.9 and 2.6 made the tires run a patch in the middle. I reverted to 2.7 and 2.5. I would be happy with that consumption considering that is is a performance engine.

All weather mode doesn't suit my driving style that well because it intervenes too early but if you can manage it then enjoy it. I do prefer eco mode on my mother's 500 though.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
The average speed cameras work. There are 3 between durban and pietermaritzburg. Been caught before while in varsity
These are found in what is commonly referred to as the 'seven mile stretch.'

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
So we came down for our annual time share to Ballito yesterday in the GQV.
My experience.
Just look out for cops between the ballito off-ramp and the tongaat toll, if you happen to take a run through to Umhlanga/Dbn.
Also the road between Salt Rock & Umhlali is often trapped and its 60 most of the way.
The M4 is under construction between La Mercy and Umdloti so avoid that (stones flying and stop-go's)

Hopefully you get away with no love letters from the traffic dept on your holiday :thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts