Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. After having had my wee spider since February with the hood operating perfectly, now that the weather is improving, in typical Alfa fashion, she's decided she's having none of this roof down milarky!

As I'm a girl with little technical knowledge :rolleyes: I was hoping you lovely chappies could help.

I have read the other hood related threads, but need a little more info. (Having just spent the best part of £400 already on her this month for MOT, service, new spark plugs, filters etc I was hoping to be able to fix this myself if at all possible). It can't be that hard....can it? ;)

Anyway...my hood is doing the first part of its sequence only (ie disengaging from the bodywork and lifting up). That's as far as it goes. The motor is still making a noise when I press the armrest console button and the red LED is still lit indicating the sequence is trying to continue, but the bodywork doesn't lift up for the window and cloth hood to go inside.

I have tried the manual system (found the two buttons behind my seat). The first button does indeed work to release the hood, and makes a noise when you press it. The second button....which I assume is to release the second phase of the sequence, doesn't make any noise......should it? I am guessing it should as having pressed it, I cannot budge the bodywork part that should come up. Is there a fuse for these switches? If so where?

I have accessed the gubbings of the motor etc and tentatively walloped it as suggested when its doing its sequence. No joy. (Scared to wallop it too hard of course as I have no idea what the hell I'm doing :D. Can anyone advise WHERE on it I'm supposed to hit it exactly if possible?

Lastly, I have come across this connector (pictured below) which doesn't seem to be connected to anything - can anyone advise what this is? (I'm working blind here as the car didn't come with an owners manual). Is this anthing to do with the hood mechanism, and if so where the hell does it plug in as there doesn't seem to be anywhere? Lol

The joys of Alfa ownership. :D

Worst case scenario I'll be taking another trip back to Chicks at CM Garage in EK to sort her in a month or so when my finances have replenished (as will be getting a few other wee things done then too anyway ):rolleyes: but was just kinda hoping I could get the ole roof doon in the sunshine in the interim.

Sorry for the oodles of questions......just loving having her and want to get the most out of her.

Thank you! :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Hi

The roof not functioning is the most frustrating part of Spider ownership (I know, I've owned 6 to date, and everyone has had some problem or other operating the roof!)

Have a look at this thread - the 2nd post shows a diagram of the motor that unlocks/locks the cover:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/279885-taking-apart-the-hood-motor.html

There are at least three things that can go wrong (that I know of of this issue):

1) The cog inside the motor breaks into more than one part - this can be solved by buying a replacement from a member on AlfaOwner.com (sorry I don't have a link - he also advertises on eBay)

2) The spindle that holds on the bar (held on by nut no. 1 in the diagram) can break off - you have to get a local engineering company to weld it back on - or buy a replacement motor (new @£350 from eBay or second hand from someone breaking a car)

3) Some owners have reported that the motor does not turn at all, even when taken apart - this can caused by a small microswitch not working or the motor is burnt out - the former can be solved by replacing the microswitch

1) and 3) can be temporarily solved by hitting the motor (I suggest the nut, no. 1 in the diagram) - hit it whilst pressing either the main switch on the console or the manual switch (nearest the centre of the car) behind the seats - AND/OR taking apart the motor and repositioning the cog by 180 degrees - but in my opinion, the fault will always return!!

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The part that you want to tap with a hammer is in the center under a black oval cover. Tap it as you are pressing the button and this should release the clam shell. It is on the curved section of the storage compartment.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your advice. I'll have a bash. Fingers crossed :D
Any idea what the connector is in the pic tho? Is that completely irrelevant to the roof? (Just in case it's something that's fallen out?)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don't want to sound smug, but it was one of the main points that made me choose our current ph2 spider...Manual hood.
I think you'll find plenty of power hood info with a search on here.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
.....Any idea what the connector is in the pic tho? Is that completely irrelevant to the roof? (Just in case it's something that's fallen out?)
I've seen that connector (not connected) in both my current spiders, I don't think its connected (sorry for the pun) to the roof!

Rich ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
147 virgin I could kiss you!

I have a problem with my hood (see today's post) which meant I drove 200 mile with my hood 6 inches from being closed! Having just read your post I looked for the two switches behind the seat, found them and fully closed the roof just before it is due to rain!

Thank you soooo much

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
147 virgin I could kiss you!

I have a problem with my hood (see today's post) which meant I drove 200 mile with my hood 6 inches from being closed! Having just read your post I looked for the two switches behind the seat, found them and fully closed the roof just before it is due to rain!

Thank you soooo much
Lol! I am glad, even with my limited knowledge I was able to help
:D :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Woohoo! A wallop with a rubber mallet did the trick :D :D :D
Thanks everyone! Chuffed. I know its not a permanent fix, but at least I can get the roof down in the interim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts