Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know somebody attempted starting a thread on this topic in the Off Topic lounge, but it got quickly derailed. So now I figured I'd ask it: could somebody explain the function and benefits of the "Friends" list? Is it just so other people can view our profiles and see who we like, or are there added benefits to placing somebody in the category of "Friend" (as opposed to just putting them on the Buddy List)?
--Toronto

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
The buddy list ID the friend's list as far as I know. All the people who were on your buddy list will now be in your friends list and if you so wish, you can send them a notification of this so that they know who you are and can look out for you, a well you you for them.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there really is no point to it? I mean anybody I already had on my buddy list was identified in the member listing with a plus sign. Now by ticking off them off as friends in addition to buddies it just extends the buddy idea so that it's a two-way notification that both you and your buddy are online at the same time. Okay, although it seems a bit redundant, unless I'm still missing something.
--Toronto

N

·
0 Posts
It's just more web 2.0-ness, TS. :)rolleyes:)
I'm not sure I see the point, but I'm willing to play along
so long as there's no mention of Facebook or Twitter.

;)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I like the "break friendship " button, reminds me of primary school:)

·
Administrator
8,045 Posts
So there really is no point to it? I mean anybody I already had on my buddy list was identified in the member listing with a plus sign. Now by ticking off them off as friends in addition to buddies it just extends the buddy idea so that it's a two-way notification that both you and your buddy are online at the same time. Okay, although it seems a bit redundant, unless I'm still missing something.
--Toronto
Check your privacy options, all will become clear :) It basically allows you more control over your info, if someone is on your friends list, you can allow just those people access to info you select just like Facebook and flickr (Special mention for Nev :tut: :lol:)

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Oh nice one Mr AO! :cool:

I was getting a bit flustered (aka paraniod bot! :tut:) with the "privacy" thing but that link has it covered! Cool! :thumbs: ;) :cool:

EDIT: there is one other thing about people knowing where I visited namely, profiles but I'll let that ride and see how I feel about that later ;)

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just more web 2.0-ness, TS. :)rolleyes:)
I'm not sure I see the point, but I'm willing to play along
so long as there's no mention of Facebook or Twitter.

;)

Here I was thinking that I was the only one who thought this all seemed a bit Facebookish. (That is based on my limited understanding of those types of social websites, seeing as I don't belong to them.)

I guess I don't really do the "public performance" of my life: see, I have friends, I really do -- you can look at their names on my page. :lol: But like you Nev, I'm giving it a go.

rodz1300, you've also got a point about it feeling very much like primary school. I must admit when I sent out my first "friend" request I felt exactly like I did when I was six and had just moved into a new neighbourhood. I distinctly remember riding around on my bike asking all the likely looking adults "do you have any kids I can play with?" (Of course I also still remember the ones who actually lied to me and said they didn't when they did have similar aged children.)

Ian, thanks for the explanation. I had already glanced at that, but I thought maybe there was more to it. Besides, I've always worked on the idea that anything I post here is open to the public in perpetuity, which is why I'm slightly circumspect about what I do write.
--Toronto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts