Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do the alfa stats fail so often, i've never had to fit one to any of my other cars, my 156 now needs a new one, this will be the 3rd

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
why do the alfa stats fail so often, i've never had to fit one to any of my other cars, my 156 now needs a new one, this will be the 3rd
where you buying it from ? dealer ,aftermarket ?

i just put brand new facet on mine (jtd 140) and its passing before it gets to temp of 88c so i suspect dodgy seal on it

·
Registered
87 Posts
All of the bikes I've owned have had failed stats but normally cars are fine, 156 must be an exception

If it was a normal stat it would only be £8, £75 is a bit steep but it's because it is spaghetti junction for the water pipes

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
no idea yet where i'm gonna get one from, maybe euro car parts
im going for genuine one as i fitted genuine to my 2.4 jtd and it works text book and supplier of my new one ive fitted has accepted it back :thumbs: so i dont want to be fitted another just in case its a faulty batch:eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think the thermostat on my 156 JTD has worked properly for several years. Up until recently it had been reading 70 degrees C, but for the last few weeks it hardly moves off 50 degrees C, but i'm still getting plenty of hot air into the car.
I really must get this fixed as it seems to be affecting the fuel consumption. I'm struggling to get 40 mpg:(

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I don't think the thermostat on my 156 JTD has worked properly for several years. Up until recently it had been reading 70 degrees C, but for the last few weeks it hardly moves off 50 degrees C, but i'm still getting plenty of hot air into the car.
I really must get this fixed as it seems to be affecting the fuel consumption. I'm struggling to get 40 mpg:(
jtd have electrical heater built in to help

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Cool, I shall do it A.S.A.P, the saving on fuel will soon pay for the expense of a new thermostat.

Oh why oh why did I not do this sooner!:mad:
drive your car for 2 mile in this cold weather and then check top hose into rad ..i bet its warm and your temp gauge just lifting on gauge i bet

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 30 mile drive to work and the gauge hardly moves above 50 degrees C unless my speed creeps up above 80mph, then once I back off, the temp gauge drops back down.

I must admit I haven't checked the top hose to see how hot it is. I shall give it a try.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I have a 30 mile drive to work and the gauge hardly moves above 50 degrees C unless my speed creeps up above 80mph, then once I back off, the temp gauge drops back down.

I must admit I haven't checked the top hose to see how hot it is. I shall give it a try.
just 2 mile remember :thumbs: not end of journey

·
Registered
96 Posts
just 2 mile remember :thumbs: not end of journey
my stat is working ok, but the temp gauge is not working at all, i got second hand clocks
from a breaker and it did not work either. my brother in law as just bought a 2.4 jtd last week
and i am going to swap his and try them on my car. i will fit my temp gauge in his car and see
what happens. i reckon i have a ECU problem between the temp gauge and the ECU.
i have a new temp sensor fitted to the stat:confused:
have you guys any idea,s.

·
Registered
96 Posts
check the sensor connections on the stat itself. You may actually just need a new sensor (cheap part :) )
i was in the car just now and all of a sudden the temp gauge comes back to live.
after a few weeks with nothing, a strange beast the 156. i have checked the connections
at the sensor and i have fitted a new sensor, and it could be faulty.
the needle only go,s has far has 70c or just slightly under it and with the car still running i
checked the top and bottom hoses, the top is hot and the bottom one is cold.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts