Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am going to take my Brera on a long drive to France next month (yay - what fun!).

Can someone here please lend me their NAVTEQ France disc?

Hoping that some community-spirited Alfa nut here can help! Cheers. Please PM me.

Thanks,
- Nick.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone else here think that NAVTEQ's pricing is none-sensical? I can buy a new satnav for less than the cost of this disc.

The pricing is beyond ridiculous and I personally cannot justify it for one week's usage. It's about 4x what it should be imo. If it were cheaper I'd be tempted to update the discs annually. As it is I'll probably live with the original discs indefinitely.

N

·
0 Posts
Never understood the rationale behind
this for the inbuilt GPSs. It's the same
for all manucaturers: Audi, Merc etc.

Hopefully B&M Nav negates this in future.

No one go a disc "to loan" ARtG?

·
Registered
26,122 Posts
I have a Becker nav system that uses Navtec maps - could put those on a stick or an SD card and send them over I guess, but due to the absurd pricing scheme, my maps are 4 years old so not sure they'd be of much use.
Also, the maps are not isolated ones (just for France, e.g.) but you either get the South of Europe, or the East...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have no idea whether I would be able to burn a CD in a compatible format from there... but it might be worth an experiment. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
26,122 Posts
PM me your details, I'll get you a copy of the part of my maps that has the French bits on there on an SD card or stick - let me know what you prefer.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
ive got a becker with navteq maps too....total rip off...got the 2008 update for £90 and it's not even up to date,...couldnt track much of the D6 in germany plus some a-road equivalents, major roads in the czech republic and even missed intersections on the M1...very poor value...im getting a tomtom next , unless my next car has inbuilt sat nav...at least tomtom's updates are live and up to date!

i would offer to help you alfared, but im currently on the continent away from my original navteq disc...when r u leaving for france?

·
Registered
26,122 Posts
ive got a becker with navteq maps too....total rip off...got the 2008 update for £90 and it's not even up to date,...couldnt track much of the D6 in germany plus some a-road equivalents, major roads in the czech republic and even missed intersections on the M1...very poor value...im getting a tomtom next , unless my next car has inbuilt sat nav...at least tomtom's updates are live and up to date!

i would offer to help you alfared, but im currently on the continent away from my original navteq disc...when r u leaving for france?
I use the (old) maps on the Becker regularly in France, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium and I find them complete enough. Never used them in Eastern Europe though.
I agree that 90 quid for a set of maps (most of which you'll never use anyway) is way to expensive for regular updates, especially if your experience with them is anything to go by.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Al has offered to help - I'll see how I get on. I am not off until the second half of August though, so I have time to work this out.

The only thing is - how do I know it works until I get to France!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately Al's efforts were in vain. The Brera has the CD maps - whereas he had the DVD version. Shame.

We're off on 22nd August.... if you have any bright ideas, that'd be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Unfortunately Al's efforts were in vain. The Brera has the CD maps - whereas he had the DVD version. Shame.

We're off on 22nd August.... if you have any bright ideas, that'd be much appreciated.
im back this weekend...ill have a look and see what i can do...send me a PM with your email address and ill get in touch once im home

1 - 12 of 12 Posts