Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I ditched $ky. I was paying £72 a month and I only ever really watched two of non-free channels (SS1 and SS2). They didn't even offer me a discount to stay - last time I threatened to quit I got half price everything for 6 months (I'd already been on a half price deal from when I signed up for 12 months).

So to replace it I've ordered a Humax HDR Fox-T2 for twin tuner Freeview HD goodness and if I feel the need to watch SS1 or SS2 I can get a CF+ module and subscribe to Top Up TV on a pay as you go basis. :thumbs:

The Humax looks like a good box - loads of toys including DLNA as well as iplayer etc and Humax have trialled Sky Player so I could get a standalone Sky Go sub for sports etc. There's also a really good community with custom firmware available to keep my inner-geek busy.

As they were trying to talk me into staying, I mentioned that I was just going to get a Freeview or Freesat HD box for £200 or so which the Sky CS rep said "That's quite expensive". "Only as much as three months of Sky" was my response...

C

·
0 Posts
We've got one of those and it's very good, much better than the Topfield it replaced. I've not tried the TV Portal yet as the dongles are never in stock on the Humax website - I'm not sure whether the portal includes Sky Player though.

·
Administrator
87,076 Posts
Has Sky been added to the swear filter :confused:

I guess not ;)

Hope you are happy with the Humax, sounds like it's a good bit of kit & that it'll give you a few options to let you watch what you want :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've got one of those and it's very good, much better than the Topfield it replaced. I've not tried the TV Portal yet as the dongles are never in stock on the Humax website - I'm not sure whether the portal includes Sky Player though.
The portal did include Sky Player as a beta test and apparently it worked well but it has now been withdrawn. Thankfully those hacky geeks at hummy.tv have developed a version of the firmware that allows Sky Player to be used for the time being... ;)

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
You won't go wrong with Humax, they are brilliant machines, and their customer service and support is excellent too. We have been using Freeview Twin Tuner Humax Digital PVR's for many Years now, and highly recommend them.........:thumbs:

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
I am thinking of upgrading my satellite receiver to a HD one.

Can the Humax boxes pick up foreign channels?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
what exactly can you watch with these things that I can't with my freeview built in TV? genuine guessie
unless your built in also has a hard drive, and twin tuners you can.

Watch a channel whilst recording a channel
Record two programmes on at the same time
pause, record and rewind live tv
if its internet connected you get augmented information about what you are watching

They are pretty good, my Dad bought one in November time, I set it up in a few minutes, there aren;t many freeview HD channels but I think its worth it for BBC HD Alone, the natural history stuff they have on looks stunning in HD.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Today, I ditched $ky. I was paying £72 a month and I only ever really watched two of non-free channels (SS1 and SS2). They didn't even offer me a discount to stay - last time I threatened to quit I got half price everything for 6 months (I'd already been on a half price deal from when I signed up for 12 months).

So to replace it I've ordered a Humax HDR Fox-T2 for twin tuner Freeview HD goodness and if I feel the need to watch SS1 or SS2 I can get a CF+ module and subscribe to Top Up TV on a pay as you go basis. :thumbs:

The Humax looks like a good box - loads of toys including DLNA as well as iplayer etc and Humax have trialled Sky Player so I could get a standalone Sky Go sub for sports etc. There's also a really good community with custom firmware available to keep my inner-geek busy.

As they were trying to talk me into staying, I mentioned that I was just going to get a Freeview or Freesat HD box for £200 or so which the Sky CS rep said "That's quite expensive". "Only as much as three months of Sky" was my response...

I think you made a good choice. Whenever I'm asked about Freeview recorders I always point out that none of them are bug free, but Humax is the best of the bunch. Unlike most other manufacturers, Humax do actually provide regular, automatic software updates and do seem to care about their customers. If you find anything about the box you don't like, it's worth taking a stroll to

Showbiz, entertainment and media news - Digital Spy

and adding your comment to the Freeview recorder section under Humax. Humax actually read this forum and have fixed many bugs pointed out by forum members. Can't ask for more than that really :thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
It is a nice little box. I have that and the Fressat non PVR version and both work really well.

Mine is out of action at the moment due to the aerial/distribution in the flats playing up. Probably going to hang on to the switch over in April and see if the signal boost sorts things out.

D

·
0 Posts
I dumped sky almost a year ago due to their poor customer service and increasing costs. At the moment i have virgin media which is costing 30 per month but after looking at this thread i am going to look into this freeview system.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I dumped sky almost a year ago due to their poor customer service and increasing costs. At the moment i have virgin media which is costing 30 per month but after looking at this thread i am going to look into this freeview system.
We have Virgin Media as well, but the Humax Freeview Twin Tuner gives us a MUCH more varied way to record and watch anything at any time, so I would consider the Freeview as an addition, rather than a total replacement for Virgin Media, especially if you have a V+Plus box as well, which we find brilliant all round.........:thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
When I moved into my flat I thought I would get sky, but never got round to it. And I really don't miss it. When I go to my parents and watch sky the only difference is, there are more channels of rubbish to flick through.

D

·
0 Posts
We have Virgin Media as well, but the Humax Freeview Twin Tuner gives us a MUCH more varied way to record and watch anything at any time, so I would consider the Freeview as an addition, rather than a total replacement for Virgin Media, especially if you have a V+Plus box as well, which we find brilliant all round.........:thumbs:
We have the V+ samsung box and i must admit it is a good system with loads of channels.

The freeview would be a good addition to the bedroom as i can't seem to find equipment to multi room the vigin.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
its not a bad channel line up but there is some rubbish on there, Renault tv!!!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yer right there does seem a lot but its only via those dishy doodars isnt it?
Yes - beware of confusing Freeview (via aerial) with Freesat (via satellite dish).

To make things simple, Humax have named their receivers:

HDR-FOXT2 (Freeview)
FOXSAT-HDR (Freesat)

:lol:

Not sure what they were thinking of really :confused: The products are good though :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
To be honest I think Freesat's a waste of money if you're getting the full Freeview service. Lots of channels, yes, but 95% of them are garbage.

We're on a local relay with limited bandwidth so we only get a limited range of Freeview channels; Freesat fills some, but not all, of the gaps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts