Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone help?

I am thinking about getting a freesat dish as we have a couple of TV's in the house that have Freeview built in them.

But will it work? by that i mean will the freesat just plug straight into the TV or will i need another set top box?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As Mr O says, you need a "Freesat" satellite receiver set-top box.
Freeview is a totally different system, although the content is the same.

I think Panasonic have some TVs with built in Freesat receivers.
But they are top-of-the-range expensive.

As an aside: Looks like Sky are finally pulling the plug on their service outside the UK.

Loads of people are complaining that the latest updates and cards
have destroyed reception.

Haven't worked out what they've done as yet.

But looks like Freesat sales will soar over here. ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys, looks like i will upgrade the aerial then to a digital one then and split the signal

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
As Mr O says, you need a "Freesat" satellite receiver set-top box.
Freeview is a totally different system, although the content is the same.

I think Panasonic have some TVs with built in Freesat receivers.
But they are top-of-the-range expensive.

As an aside: Looks like Sky are finally pulling the plug on their service outside the UK.

Loads of people are complaining that the latest updates and cards
have destroyed reception.

Haven't worked out what they've done as yet.

But looks like Freesat sales will soar over here. ;)
That means another price increase this year then, to counter lost sales and falling advertising revenue then :rolleyes:

Just cancelled my complete subscription this afternoon. Fed up of paying for channels full of adverts every 15 mins, the odd new series that I actually like and then extra to watch new movies and then further subscription for the sports I follow.

I would rather do without on principal - that and the every TV in my house how has Built in Freeview.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Apart from the cost of buying the Freesat receiver, am I correct in thinking that you can also access HD channels (BBC etc.) free of charge, instead of the extra £10 you have to pay Sky to receive these channels (that our licence fee already pays for)?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, that's my understanding. If you get an HD receiver.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Also there is only 3 or 4 Hd channels on freesat.

If you can do without the HD i think Freeview is the better bet

Sky are changing over the viewing cards as someone has broken the encryption system.Most viewing cards abroad have come thru third partys setting up false accounts and the replacement cards are not getting changed over with their respective old ones............

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
TBH, I find freeviews picture quality to be really good. Obviously, I have not used the full HD service so I can't compare but I can say that Sky through a HD 1080i TV is a terrible picture!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most viewing cards abroad have come thru third partys setting up false accounts and the replacement cards are not getting changed over with their respective old ones............
No, they are as legit as they can be.

New cards are changed, but the boxes now report "No Signal"
after the new cards are inserted. Not even the free channel
come up any more. Can't figure out what's going on.

Glad to hear Sky (Digital) finally got hacked. :lol: They used
their resources to hack and then publish details on how
to hack competitors and put some companies out of business.
Payback's a b'atch. ;)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
tried a software down load and full system reset(if sky plus)?,some of the older boxes really cant handle the new software and we just swap them out now............

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
If you have Sky+ with 2 LNB inputs you can buy a Freesat HD box and simply unplug one Sky+ input and put it into the Freesat HD box. You would lose the ability to watch one channel and record another on Sky+ however.

The Freesat HD with Hard Drive also has an LNB out so you can feed an LNB into the Freesat box then into the Sky+ box.

The picture quality on the HD channels using the Freesat box on a HD channel is stunning. I have also heard that the freesat box will upscale all other freeview channels (as long as you are using a HDMi cable).

As said, the HD content is limited at the moment, and as soon as there are more I shall be purchasing one. A mate at work has one hence I have seen it in operation

1 - 15 of 15 Posts