Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at one of these in duty free. Powered by usb only with no AC adaptor. Will it work with B & M? Only £98 too. Cheers, Simon.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I can't answer that but what I will say is check whether it has a usb dual power chord if you do intend to use it with B&M.

I've just got a 320GB Maxtor portable drive (not to use with B&M though) and it has a dual power chord meaning you need two usb ports to run it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just looking at one of these in duty free. Powered by usb only with no AC adaptor. Will it work with B & M? Only £98 too. Cheers, Simon.
If it's based on a 2.5" drive then I doubt it. I have a 2.5" in a USB powered enclosure and there isn't enough juice from the B&M USB port to power it. In my experience the only ones that are likely to work with B&M are those based on 1.8" drives.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
2.5" will deffo not work.

My LaCie 1.8" doesnt even work :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
2.5" will deffo not work.

My LaCie 1.8" doesnt even work :(
Which Lacie 1.8" drive do you have? I have a 60gb LaCie Little BigDisk (I think that's what it's called) and it works fine.

Agree on the 2.5" drive thing though - it might work, but there's a good chance it won't.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Which Lacie 1.8" drive do you have? I have a 60gb LaCie Little BigDisk (I think that's what it's called) and it works fine.

Agree on the 2.5" drive thing though - it might work, but there's a good chance it won't.

Yes I have the big little thingy bob. 250GB 1.8".

I bought it specifically because people on here had said it worked, but not in mine :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes I have the big little thingy bob. 250GB 1.8".

I bought it specifically because people on here had said it worked, but not in mine :(
Hmm - the 1.8" version only comes in 60GB and 120GB variants. I wonder if you've bought a 2.5" one by mistake? Take a look at this page:

LaCie - Mobile Hard Drives - USB 2.0, FireWire & FireWire 800

The only variant that's 1.8", I think, is the first one on the second row, available in 60 and 120GB versions. Maybe you could get yours exchanged if it's not the right one?

D

·
0 Posts
I know nothing about B&M but 250GB for £98 sounds like a lot of money for not a lot of giggerbiytes. Is it the same as this one? Freecom 250GB Toughdrive 2.5 Inch USB 2.0 Hard Drive Even the 320GB version is £86 on Amazon

It always amazes me at how duty free is always more expensive than I could buy the stuff off the net at home, even the booze is more expensive than Tescos

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
I can't answer that but what I will say is check whether it has a usb dual power chord if you do intend to use it with B&M.

I've just got a 320GB Maxtor portable drive (not to use with B&M though) and it has a dual power chord meaning you need two usb ports to run it.
one USB to power it. I have one myself for back up purposes. I have never tried it for B&M as I doubt it will power it.

It is a great item however, small enough to fit in a pocket but with a decent capacity :thumbs:

Memory prices go up and down, it is cheap at the price on amazon right now - work paid for mine (VAT free) and it was about that price 6 months ago

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hmm - the 1.8" version only comes in 60GB and 120GB variants. I wonder if you've bought a 2.5" one by mistake? Take a look at this page:

LaCie - Mobile Hard Drives - USB 2.0, FireWire & FireWire 800

The only variant that's 1.8", I think, is the first one on the second row, available in 60 and 120GB versions. Maybe you could get yours exchanged if it's not the right one?

Yup, looks like I have the wrong one, they call both the 1.8 and 2.5 the 'Little DisK' - how helpful and not at all confusing.

Oh well, another wasted 69.99!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
USB Standard has 2 power variants, low and high.

wikipedia(sic) said:
The USB specification provides a 5 V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines. There are two types of devices: low-power and high-power. Low-power devices draw 1 unit load, which is defined to be 100 mA. High-power devices draw 5 unit loads or 500 mA. All devices default as low-power but the devices' software may request high-power as long as the power is available on the providing bus.
You might be better off looking into solid state drives as these will require less power having no motor.

D

·
0 Posts
Can't wait for big capacity SSDs to start making it into mainstream computing, lightning quick startup times!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys:thumbs: Didn't buy it and glad:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts