Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is interested, I have found a free Sat Nav app for the Blackberry.

I use a Bold 9900 (cracking handset, best I've ever used) and wanted a "cheap" (read free) option for a sat nav. I use the phone on my bike as well as in the car.

I've used "gokivo" 4 times now. Each time has been faultless. To the destination without a hitch.
Very clear user interface, customisable display (3D, 2D, Map View).

It doesn't have safety cameras and such, but I have eyes an an ability to notice massive yellow boxes on sticks..... (famous last words....).

So, if anyone fancies a free option, its available via Blackberry AppWorld. Not sure about other markets, but certainly worth a search.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on the model of BB really. Mine has a touch screen, so would eat into the battery life, but I don't notice a massive drop off.
Always have a car charger anyway, so on a longer journey I would use that.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I've generally found the one that's built in on mine is fine for all I've required of it, but I don't often need it for long journeys, just the last little bit (of course there are occasions it is of additional use such as circumnavigating roadworks/accidents/queues which RAC can keep me informed of. It does eat battery life a bit but not so as its an issue (I've only used the incar charger when the battery was low to start with).

A trick I've figured though is to turn off all non-essential services anyway and I now get 2 days between charges instead of 1 (that includes texting, some calls/e-mail*/web** and using the odd app including GPS on when requested - but not really much gaming). I assume Android/BB/iPhone have equivalent battery saver modes.

* manually checking e-mail once or twice a day instead of automatically every hour, includes sending with pics
** including browsing/replying on AO (not sure I'd be so wordy, or quick, without the physical keyboard though!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts