·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
"Free power" ... "£141". :confused:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regardless of the spelling mistake and inaccuracies I asked if the principle is sound.

FFS

·
Registered
6,715 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
hmmm quite clever that.

wouldnt trust that particular device, but the theory seems correct, interesting.....

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
The theory is realistic, but for me it’s a patch, not a real solution. It can lower the load on alternator during acceleration, but the main brake - alternator is still there. I would prefer a mechanical solution, like using the clutch from AC compressor on alternator to be able to disconnect it completely for the short moments of acceleration - as does the BMW efficient dynamics system.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've seen modern vauxhalls with a clutch type alternator pulley, only problem is you need special tools to take the pulley off when it or the alternator fails. Just another point to go wrong, theory is good though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Intrigued by the fact that the device looks to be mostly heat sink and has a thermal overload cut out. Implies lots of potential savings are disappearing as heat.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The theory is realistic, but for me it’s a patch, not a real solution. It can lower the load on alternator during acceleration, but the main brake - alternator is still there. I would prefer a mechanical solution, like using the clutch from AC compressor on alternator to be able to disconnect it completely for the short moments of acceleration - as does the BMW efficient dynamics system.
I've always wondered about this idea,

Would only be a small load of the engine, but anything helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts