Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, if it has already been posted, but I just became aware of the fact, that since April 2009 France puts 10 % ethanol in it's 95 octane petrol ("SP95 E10").

Asked by the german automobile club (ADAC) Alfa gave their ok for the following models:

- MiTo
- 159: 1.8 16V, 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
- Brera: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
- Spider: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
- 8C: 4.7 32V

That would mean that even the 2.2 engine is not officially cleared for that fuel.
I will ask my dealer about it at my next visit.
Maybe Nev has some further information about that?

So if you go to France with a 2.2 or older alfa petrol engine and wanna be careful, maybe you should use the higher octane fuel (98-100).

PS: I just found that the same list states, that Opel gave their OK for . . .

all models
APART from cars with 2.2 direct injection engines (Code: Z22YH)!

I fear that's the one that's related to the Alfa 2.2 !?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Interesting, im driving to France in a few weeks, thanks for bringing this to my attention. More info would be helpful by anyone.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Thanks for you PM Andreas. We leave on the 18th. We'll be in Clare's V6 GT with the Arese engine & Leigh will be his V6 Brera. Will the new fuel harm our engines then?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We'll be in Clare's V6 GT with the Arese engine & Leigh will be his V6 Brera. Will the new fuel harm our engines then?
The Brera V6 should be fine with 95 octane (and 10 % ethanol). But in case of the Arese V6 I would use the higher octane petrol (less or no ethanol) to be on the safe side.

this will make it cheaper right?
Well, certainly not for the customers. Even if the price stays the same, it's more expensive, because ethanol is less efficient in unmodified petrol engines.

It's supposed to be "greener". But it has been found out, that with more demand for bio-ethanol, farmers switch from producing crops for food to crops for ethanol.
-> Same carbon footprint, but less food -> higher food prices -> especially bad news for poorer countries.

Because of that and the possible problems for older engines, the introduction of "E10" petrol was postponed in Germany about a year ago.
But the EU decision, that E10 has to be introduced in all EU countries till the end of 2010 is still valid!

N

·
0 Posts
Haven't used 95 in years.

98 Excellium from Total is the one to use. ;)

Bloody ethanol. It's a US farming subsidy scam is all! :rant: :mad:

;)

Edit: according to Total's site it will be clearly marked as SP95-E10
and will not just "replace" SP95 at the pump. ;)

http://carburants.total.fr/sp95-e10/

·
Registered
37,360 Posts
Using fuel with 10% ethanol with reduce your fuel economy by 5% IIRC, so it is a con.

Although Ethanol is one way of raising the octane rating.

Regular 95 or 98 unleaded will do for me thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts