Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just serviced my bella and used a fram oil filter thinking it wasnt a bad brand. Just taking in work and a couple of guys say Fram used to be a good filter but arnt anymore. Anyne had any issues with using fram ? I plan to change annually and only do 8 or 9k a year 1.9

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Just serviced my bella and used a fram oil filter thinking it wasnt a bad brand. Just taking in work and a couple of guys say Fram used to be a good filter but arnt anymore. Anyne had any issues with using fram ? I plan to change annually and only do 8 or 9k a year 1.9
I think it is probably unfair to say they are not good any more. It may just be there are better ones on the market - but that is subjective. If you keep on top of your servicing, then there should not be any more of an issue with them than there was in the past. If unsure - pull the filter early to check, it won't cost much to do that. Being half the price of the Alfa one, it's not going to be only half as good. It's probably just as good, but you are not paying the OEM premium.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Agree with the above comment - Filters have to conform to certain regulations and manufactured to a given quality standard, you pay a premium for OEM parts so nothing wrong with shopping around.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My dad used a Fram oil filter in his old diesel van years ago, soon after it managed to lunch its big end bearings. The old engine had done 270K, but seemed to be fine before this, sadly I was driving it to work with him in the passenger seat at the time, its the only time we have managed to kill an engine. I cant say absolutely it was down to the filter, but since then, we have only used oem oil filters and oem oil.:paranoid: Don't see it as worth the risk for relatively cheap parts oem.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have always stuck to Mann and Bosch on all my cars. Bosch I had a bad experience with one of their fuel filters it was dreadfully made so I stick to Mann now. Always seem so well made compared to a lot of the other crap about.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Crap crap crap filter. Sorry. Truly crap.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
My dad used a Fram oil filter in his old diesel van years ago, soon after it managed to lunch its big end bearings. The old engine had done 270K, but seemed to be fine before this, sadly I was driving it to work with him in the passenger seat at the time, its the only time we have managed to kill an engine. I cant say absolutely it was down to the filter, but since then, we have only used oem oil filters and oem oil.:paranoid: Don't see it as worth the risk for relatively cheap parts oem.
:biglaugh::biglaugh: That is analogous to the guy who had fifteen pints of Guinness and finished off with a Jameson's. He was violently sick, but blamed it on the Jameson's. 270,000 miles!!!!! I think your father was a really nice guy. Most right minded folk would said it was down to you. Bloody hooligan!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
542 Posts
:biglaugh::biglaugh: That is analogous to the guy who had fifteen pints of Guinness and finished off with a Jameson's. He was violently sick, but blamed it on the Jameson's. 270,000 miles!!!!! I think your father was a really nice guy. Most right minded folk would said it was down to you. Bloody hooligan!:biglaugh:
Maybe, but I never owned up to it!
Starting to make me wonder if I should take my dad of the insurance to the Spider just in case he tries to get his own back?:rofl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fram - massive supplier that makes filters for the major car manufacturers to sell at a premium with the OEM name on plus they do trucks and heavy industry. 'Sure you can have the odd bad filter or more likely the wrong one specified/ fitted but basically as sound as any other and are a premium filter brand. Don't believe the hype - it isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fram - massive supplier that makes filters for the major car manufacturers to sell at a premium with the OEM name on plus they do trucks and heavy industry. 'Sure you can have the odd bad filter or more likely the wrong one specified/ fitted but basically as sound as any other and are a premium filter brand. Don't believe the hype - it isn't rocket science.
Fram is not premium. Budget. They're sold at Walmart!! Cut one open (they're cheap enough) and compare.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fram is not premium. Budget. They're sold at Walmart!! Cut one open (they're cheap enough) and compare.
Fram in the US is not the same company as Fram in Europe.

The FRAM Corporation (USA) was bought by the Bendix Corporation in 1967. Then FRAM was part of Honeywell's "Consumer Products Group" (CPG) until 2011. FRAM Group is now owned by Rank Group. FRAM Group consists of two businesses: Autolite and FRAM Filtration.
Filtration Catalog

Fram in Europe is owned by the Sogefi Group.
Fram
Sogefi Group - SOGEFI Group
Our Clients - SOGEFI Group

Click on Passenger Cars, first in the list is Alfa Romeo.

FRAM® - SOGEFI Group

And for what it is worth I use and have used Fram Filters out of preference for more years than I care to remember,
with no problems.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

That was my thinking when buying, cheers.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Fake news! I have read the reviews on the tinternet and yes Fram do get a beating, but it was interesting to read another thread by an ex-employee who worked at Fram manufacturing who suggested Nissan's OEM filters were made on the same line!!
There are many filters that could be stripped for examination, there would be issues with many - Would I buy one, perhaps not?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fake news! I have read the reviews on the tinternet and yes Fram do get a beating, but it was interesting to read another thread by an ex-employee who worked at Fram manufacturing who suggested Nissan's OEM filters were made on the same line!!
There are many filters that could be stripped for examination, there would be issues with many - Would I buy one, perhaps not?
We've cut several filters open from different manufacturers. The difference is obvious. Not rocket science, but... The fram was, admittedly, a US unit (total crap). It sounds like the European frams are, indeed, not the same. (still wouldn't use them though).

·
Registered
478 Posts
This whole discussion is typical for my general feeling that things get worse and worse when it comes down on finding (or should I say expecting) quality.

As more and more is being produced in low-cost countries, the Far East, the price we pay ultimately is on quality. My personal experience that it is a very broad tendency, i.e. when buying a washing machine made by Miele some 20-25 years ago, it was almost a guarantee that it would last for >20 years. When I replaced it lately after 22 years of impeccable service, the new unit of the same brand doesn't come close to the same feel and look of quality though.

Same experience with reknown brands for things such as auto-parts, special tools, etcetera. It's simply no longer the same as it was made in EU.
So sadly in the end we're all paying the price double and more, by less quality and jobs lost. Even by those who - like myself - try to be consicious to spend money "locally" instead of Alibaba. I'm afraid this trend isn't easy to reverse, but I try....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts