Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found this on auto trader, went to see it today, going to test drive it tomorrow...

has one owner from new, well specced (OEM xenons, tri-zone climate control, front parking sensors), got a small dent/scratch on rear left flank. everything works. quiet tick-over, has a pre-heat fault (stored on computer, read by FES, doesn't illuminate MIL). needs a service imho, needs to be cranked a bit to start (suspect its linked to pre-heat issue)...

Trader has said hell get it serviced before i buy it (persuaded him to include a plug change in this service), if i want it (providing test drive goes ok)

Needs a cam belt. has Full alfa service book (stamps, no receipts)

just want some input as to what else i should be probing tomorrow when i go for a test!
Comes with a 6 month "warrantyWise" warranty
(its round the corner from me, which is a bonus)

2006 ALFA ROMEO 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso

·
Registered
199 Posts
the warrantywise will be worthless, goggle it

i would make sure you test drive it again after service to check its all ok

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats not a bad buy in my books. Im putting mine up for sale this weekend. Its almost identical but mine is a darker grey and has just had the cambelt, water pump and a full service done and mines going up at £6495 ono.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Looks a nice car, maybe I'm being a bit sceptical but I would check out the service history by ringing up the dealers who have stamped the book, they will be happy enough to check if they have really done the work.
Its very easy to get someone to stamp a service book for you or even get a stamp made up to do it.

As has been said get the belt and pump changed asap and would be worth checking that the swirl valve rod is in place on the inlet manifold.

I have the same colour and spec car but a 1.9 and am really happy with it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
long story short....put £250 deposit on it :)

i took it for a test drive (which included taking it to my mechanic ;) ) got the mechanic to probe it...agreed £5400, with no warrantywise cover (worth £120 according to dealer). picking up on friday.

I phoned the previous garage that serviced it (@ 73k in november), they did following:
- Full service including all filters and oil
- New N/S lower wishbone
- New springs fitted all round (has got new springs on, but not sure why it was done?)
and ended they ended the convo with "it really should have a cam belt done now"

results from my garage are as follows:
- rear tyre worn out
- rear left wheel doesnt spin as freely as rear right
- rear left disc has a strange scored deep ridge in it
- light corrosion on whole front subframe (still solid, just looks all rusty, my mechanic wasn't concerned by it)
- A/C doesnt work (no gas in system)
- when starting from cold, takes two attempt sometimes, from warm all good.
- On idle when warm, every 30 seconds or so the engine "judders" a little
- Head gasket is fine
- Drives smooth, pulls smoothly like a tank in all gears

Current plan of action:
- Dealer replacing two rear tyres
- Going into my garage on monday for Cam belt etc. ~£450
- Get A/C re-gassed and leak checked by kwik fit on sat
- Order up a set of rear discs & pads (any recommendations?), change them after my final exam on 27/01
- Change plugs?

Any pointers? or just press on?

EDIT: what is "swirl valve rods"....*goes and uses search...*

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Current plan of action:
-Change plugs?

Trader has said hell get it serviced before i buy it (persuaded him to include a plug change in this service), if i want it (providing test drive goes ok)

fuel-type/diesel/ 2006 ALFA ROMEO 159 2.4 JTDM Lusso[/url]

Hope you meant glow plugs:D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol yes i mean glow plugs...ill probably just get my mechanic to change them when he does the cam belt etc. Are there any recommended plugs to get? Or are they just heaters (id rather pay extra for better ones if it makes a difference)...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to mechanic today to book it in, going in on monay morning, after an A/C re-gas tomorrow afternoon.

£501 incl. VAT (he said he'll take £500 :D) for cambelt, tensioners, Water pump & two AUX belts. they are also going to change the PAS fluid from red to green for me all inclusive. (and give the car a more thorough probing)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Great stuff.

Hopefully you have covered all the bases and will have a storming 159 on the driveway! A great car, loved mine for the 28K miles I had it, in 22 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts