Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not really what I was expecting..

When I bought the car I had a clonk from the front suspension. I took the car back and the garage changed the driver side driveshaft.

The clonk was still there. However after a couple of days the clonk dissapeared.

Last week the clonk came back even worse so I ordered a pair of wishbones, as that appeared the likely cause.

Today I fitted the wishbones, but whilst doing the job I found out the cause of the clonking.

The bolt pointed out on the image was loose and the wishbone was moving. :eek: The one next to it also wasn't very tight, and I am assuming it has been like this ever since I bought the car.
The clutch was changed before I bought the car and the bolt would have been undone to lower the subframe.

I still changed the wishbones though, but they didn't look too bad.

So if you get a clonk from your front suspension check the bolts are tight.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Isn't that the transverse brace bar? I know on 147's they don't have one but they do on the GTA, it attaches the floorpan to the front subframe.

I was going to get one fitted to my old 147 but ended up buying the GTA before having it fitted.

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the traverse brace bar.

The front bolt also goes into the wishbone.

I can't see the traverse brace bar making a msiive difference to be honest. It is only a pressed bit of steel, and I reckon a lower brace would be better.

My Fiat Coupe didn't have them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Glad you've had more success than me today Simon! I couldn't even get the bolt from the bottom balljoint out, stuck solid, I now need a new drivers side hub so the car is going to be off the road until I can find one! It looks like someone has used the wrong bolt :(

On the flip side though, the wishbone was definitely dead, bush fell apart in my hand, not as bad as having loose bolts though :eek:

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you've had more success than me today Simon! I couldn't even get the bolt from the bottom balljoint out, stuck solid, I now need a new drivers side hub so the car is going to be off the road until I can find one! It looks like someone has used the wrong bolt :(

On the flip side though, the wishbone was definitely dead, bush fell apart in my hand, not as bad as having loose bolts though :eek:
The bottom bolts came out ok, although they were very tight. I found that there was not much room to get a spanner on the nut that holds it in though due to the caliper.

The pinch bolt in mine was an M10 with a 15mm head and a fine (1.25mm) thread.
The nut was a nyloc with a 17mm hex.

I would try somewhere like Oxford Bolt and bearings as it will be a lot cheaper than Alfa/Fiat. A 12.9 grade high tensile bolt of the same size and thread will do the job.

I am just pee'd off that I have been driving my car in a potentially dangerous condition since I bought it. If I had known I would have tightened the bolt long ago, but its just not possible to check every single bolt is tight on the off chance.

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
look like you could do with new flexi's soon Simon, at least the clonk is gone though
Yeah I reckon so Bradders, one of them has lost its braid. It doesn't blow though.

I think that will be quite an easy job though and can wait till the weather warms up a bit. It was freezing today and I wouldn't have worked on the car if it wasn't urgent.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah I reckon so Bradders, one of them has lost its braid. It doesn't blow though.

I think that will be quite an easy job though and can wait till the weather warms up a bit. It was freezing today and I wouldn't have worked on the car if it wasn't urgent.
Thats what I said until the stud in the manifold snapped! I swear this car is cursed or my DIY skills are rubbish!

Glad you sorted your car though Simon, loose bolts could have ended up in a very nasty situation. Were the only symptoms a knocking noise? My Peugeot has started knocking recently so I think I need to get that sorted!

·
Registered
38,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's not bad for the price, I can't weld for toffee, but I always have a go :lol:
I used to make tailifts for lorries. I was welding day in day out for 2 years.
Welding cars is far more difficult though, as the metal isn't as clean, you are often upside down under the car, and if you are outside the wind blows the gas away.

Thats what I said until the stud in the manifold snapped! I swear this car is cursed or my DIY skills are rubbish!

Glad you sorted your car though Simon, loose bolts could have ended up in a very nasty situation. Were the only symptoms a knocking noise? My Peugeot has started knocking recently so I think I need to get that sorted!
The studs do tend to snap, or the bolts round off. I had fun last week changing the flxi on the Bravo. The nut rounded off and I ended up running a drill down the side of it to make it split.

If they snap I'll just drill them out and fit stainless bolts.

The symptom was a knocking noise, mostly when pulling away and when you first touched the brakes. Although it was starting to make a noise in a straight line when going slowly.

I am just suprised the bolt hadn't fallen out, it was literally finger tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts