Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just did an overhaul of all the interior bulbs with Blue led's, I took the centre console ashtray out and replaced the bulb in there but noticed a curved box with an LED changing from green through to yellow then red, If you shake it, it goes red, Am i right in thinking this must be a tilt sensor for the clifford alarm?
It reads ''Volumetric Radar Sensor''

Bloody strange find!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
hi dave, can't help with your question i'm afraid, but i would be interested in finding out about the blue LED swap. which ones did you change, was it easy, and which LEDs did you use? sorry for all the questions, but i am looking at a plasma dial set, and the only thing stopping me is the green lights everywhere else :lol:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for the bulbs, it was very easy to install, just lower the steering wheel, remove the two hex bolts at the top of the clocks and gently pull out the clock unit, disconnect the two plugs and remove the clock unit, replace each bulb, there should be 6, the mileage counter is blue, the rev counter, speedo etc, The only lights that aren't touched are the warnings and the items IE fog indicator etc, even the car silhouette is blue which looks soo much better!!!

As for the sensor, found a few details, it deciphers movements and counteracts for wind, heat etc and will set off the alarm if it sense a difference in movement!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
thanks for that. have you tried to change the others yet? i.e. the climate control knobs, window switches etc.?
The window switches are LEDs and built into the switch body. The switches need to be dismantled to change the lighting but I don't know how practical that is - undo the clips and springs etc may fly everywhere :lol:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
OK, there's good news and bad news about changing the colour of the switch illumination.

I've just taken one apart to look as curiosity got the better of me and the good news is that it doesn't fly apart into lot's of pieces and springs flying away everywhere :thumbs:

The not so good news is that the LED illumination is surface mount. Not bad if you have reasonable soldering/desoldering skills though as access is good.

In the pic :

Red arrow is the LED
Cyan arrow ( for interest ) is the LED's current limiting resistor
Green arrows ( again for interest ) are the actual switch actuators. These move up and down with the swiitch movement.

To change illumination, just desolder the white blob and solder in a new one in your chosen colour - making sure you get it the right way round. Simples! But see note below about forward voltage.

The LED body is 3mm long ( connectors at the ends of this dimension ), about 2.3mm wide and 1.7mm high.

EDIT : just checked the resistor. It's 560 Ohm and according to my calculations it should be fine for an LED of 20mA forward current and 3.2-3.4v forward volts and a 13.8v supply.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
OK, there's good news and bad news about changing the colour of the switch illumination.

I've just taken one apart to look as curiosity got the better of me and the good news is that it doesn't fly apart into lot's of pieces and springs flying away everywhere :thumbs:

The not so good news is that the LED illumination is surface mount. Not bad if you have reasonable soldering/desoldering skills though as access is good.

In the pic :

Red arrow is the LED
Cyan arrow ( for interest ) is the LED's current limiting resistor
Green arrows ( again for interest ) are the actual switch actuators. These move up and down with the swiitch movement.

To change illumination, just desolder the white blob and solder in a new one in your chosen colour - making sure you get it the right way round. Simples! But see note below about forward voltage.

The LED body is 3mm long ( connectors at the ends of this dimension ), about 2.3mm wide and 1.7mm high.

EDIT : just checked the resistor. It's 560 Ohm and according to my calculations it should be fine for an LED of 20mA forward current and 3.2-3.4v forward volts and a 13.8v supply.
You sound like a man who know what he's talking about.....I bought some blue replacement bulbs for my GTV however they are nowhere near what I had in mind and are quite dull. I bought a superbrite LED from a local electronics store. When I went to put to into the holder from the other bulbs I had bought I noticed that they had resistors soldered to them.

I know this is quite vague as I don't know what the ratings of the new LED's or how much power is coming from the dash but can I just put the new ones in??

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The inclusion of a resister is a good sign.

If the resistor is marked with a value or if you have a resistance meter you could measure the resistor, apply it to the following formula -

Resistance = (Vs - Vf) / If

where Vs is 13.8 volts ( from the alternator )
you'll need to assume vf ( LED forward volts ) but try values of 2.5v to 3.4v
you'll also need to assume If ( the LED forward current ) - try a value of 20mA or 30mA.

So, using 3.4v & 20mA (13.8-3.4)/0.02 would give a resistance value of 520 Ohm.

If the resistor you have attached to the LED is around that figure you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would seriously consider just buying some ready prepared LED's instead of adding resistors. No matter how much skill one has, it's just cheaper and more feasible!

As for the window switches etc, i was going to order some lumiflux bulbs which are quite bright, one thing to bare in mind is you don't want distractions in the interior like a chav wagon with neons in the footwells, the bulbs that i've installed are 1.2w and they are more than ample enough to give a good dash glow,
As for the centre console switches, they're next, It's going to be tricky removing the stupid gaitor surround but with a bit of force it should come off :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts