Alfa Romeo Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
40,112 Posts
But not snowchains. They are the things that drive wheel to body clearances. That and what’s known as “stone pecking” where I used to work. There are computer programs which plot the path of stones..

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,858 Posts
Nice....I do like the tyres to line up with the body work.....cant stand the sucked in look some cars have as standard....some almost look like this!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Nice....I do like the tyres to line up with the body work.....cant stand the sucked in look some cars have as standard....some almost look like this!
View attachment 963173
That's the later 1500. My family had this one with side hinged load door. That narrow track allowed you to pull forwards into a parking space with the passenger dangling over the pavement,

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,103 Posts
Nah! :ROFLMAO: ;)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Well; nothing can beat this front 3/4 view

View attachment 963179
And I get to drive the very same car to work each day now :cool: I had a hire V90 Cross-Country a few years back and would agree it's at least one of the best alternatives out there... But I'm looking forward to many more miles in my 159 before I have to consider a change!

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,103 Posts
^^^That's nothing compared to the wheel arch gap on a Giulietta! (1.75 TBi versions excepted).

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,365 Posts
I once owned a Beetle 1602s, it had big alloy wheels and XJ6 size tyres. That really did fill the wheel arches, the real deal!

Except.......going on holiday with my brother and girl friends, all loaded up and looking forward to a bit of posing. One problem though, the wheels were touching the wings, they were rubbing even just trying to pull away on a flat road. :ROFLMAO:

Never been a 'wheel needs to fill the wheel arch anorak' since.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
40,112 Posts
You have to be understanding with Loose-oh-Man. He’s used to dealing with buildings, which tend to reach the ground, so he thinks cars should be the same. Obviously, otherwise it’d be equivalent to a static caravan.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,103 Posts
Alfa managed to get the Cloverleaf/Veloce/QV call-it-what-you-will Giulietta sitting perfectly. Why couldn't they manage it with lesser versions? So many people on here have had to do the correction to their cars themselves.
Perhaps it was because Alfa wanted it to be all things to all men (and women). I remember the marketing bumf at the time going on about its ''coupe looks'' (yes, seriously!). But they were perhaps also testing the water for a high-rider, bearing in mind what was to come...

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,365 Posts
Alfa managed to get the Cloverleaf/Veloce/QV call-it-what-you-will Giulietta sitting perfectly. Why couldn't they manage it with lesser versions? So many people on here have had to do the correction to their cars themselves.
Perhaps it was because Alfa wanted it to be all things to all men (and women). I remember the marketing bumf at the time going on about its ''coupe looks'' (yes, seriously!). But they were perhaps also testing the water for a high-rider, bearing in mind what was to come...
Then there needs to be a differentiation between the cooking versions and the Cloverleaf/Veloce/QV otherwise they are not special. Giulia base has 16" (?) wheels QV has 19". The looks of a car (anything for that matter) are singularly very important to many buyers, if there is nothing too aspire to, they may just opt for the lower pay grade versions.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
9,103 Posts
True. There was very little to differentiate visually between the top version and some of the others (talking Giulietta, not Giulia) - same size wheels and trim etc. Having the lesser versions 'jacked-up' certainly is something that's different.

·
Registered
40,112 Posts
It’s not that unusual. Before getting my first Alfa, a 147Q2, I progressed through three new A3 Sportback and going from Sport to SportLine got lower rideheight. The 147 itself had lowered suspension to go with the bigger wheels and lower profile tyres.
Cars reserve the best look for the most expensive “Halo“ version. Alfas have tended to avoid trim-level badging so these differences are important if the customer is to know people can see they’ve spent a bit more.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts