Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.

In an attempt to keep the insides of our engines and fuel systems nice & clean, I've put a bottle in each tonight:D

I bought it of an eBay trader as it's not available for retail sale, just to the motor trade.

Nowt wrong with either car, just used as a preventative really:cool:

Will let you know if anything happens;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
When mine used to get serviced at Central Alfa in Dudley they put some Forte diesel treatment in as a matter of course and swore by the stuff.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I use the same stuff (but for oil burners) It's a genuinely useful product, I use it every 5k now. It helps if you've been using cheap Tesco fuel with no additives.

They also do an engine oil flush additive (last few miles before a lube change) and it almost silenced the top end of my engine.

Forte are a really good brand.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
used both the oil flush and petrol treament last year. Not sure about the oil treament (how would you tell it made a difference without dismantling the engine? ) but the petrol treatment certainly improved fuel consumption at least for the next couple of full tanks!

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
I'd be wary of flushing an engine that might never have been previously flushed before, especially an older one. It might be that you end up with oil pi5$ing out everywhere..

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'd be wary of flushing an engine that might never have been previously flushed before, especially an older one. It might be that you end up with oil pi5$ing out everywhere..
I'd never use 'flushing oil' or cheap flush additive for the reason you highlight above, but this stuff is pretty clever.

My engine was much much quieter when cold, warm and hot. It must have cleaned out all thise little guides that get slightly clogged. I'm presuming the JTD has hydraulic tappets for it to have made such a difference.

I'll be interested to hear if the petrol ("GAS" !) additive is as effective.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's actually made close to me in Coventry.

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
I'd never use 'flushing oil' or cheap flush additive for the reason you highlight above, but this stuff is pretty clever.

My engine was much much quieter when cold, warm and hot. It must have cleaned out all thise little guides that get slightly clogged. I'm presuming the JTD has hydraulic tappets for it to have made such a difference.

I'll be interested to hear if the petrol ("GAS" !) additive is as effective.
Sorry I wasn't talking about the 'gas treatment', just someone mentioned 'engine flush' and I dropped in my 2p worth.. I meant the engine oil flush additive, the one you pour in with the oil, run the engine for 20mins, then drop out the oil and replace the filter, then add in fresh oil without any additive.

I flushed my JTD with every oil change, and I do with my V6, but if I had just bought a car with over 100k on the clock and never been flushed before, I would be wary..

The 10v JTD doesn't have hydraulic tappets, they need to have the clearances checked and have the shims fitted if necessary. Saying that, my JTD always sounded a bit tappety when cold and this never changed over 20 months and 30k miles, which I did 5 oil changes and flushes in.. I never had the clearances checked, the garage said don't bother, not worth it, so I didn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts