Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noted some interesting results today upon putting in Sasol 95, as most of you know sasols 95 has always been at the bottom of my preference list, but today its moving up, i did my standard 250km trip of mostly highway and about 50km of urban and standard traffic on both at my normal 129.9999998km/h only difference this time is my fuel consumtion improved a whole lot! i usually get a stable 9.1L/100km but today i got a stable 8.0L/100km! now i know that doesnt sound like much but in the long run it does make a difference! i was very impressed

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
if you honestly knew how they fill up the tankers you would really know its your foot and not the petrol

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
lol.. they all fill at the same depos..

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
if you honestly knew how they fill up the tankers you would really know its your foot and not the petrol
Exactly, pitty i cant take a vid of it but ill try and get a tech guy at the depot to explain...basically ALL 95 octane in ALL tankers are the same quality and grade.

There is additives added to Sasol brand,Shell brand and Engen brand etc to make theirs different from the other brands, e.g. Shell got an additive they call V-Power, Caltex has an additive they call techron...

Ive actually heard a rumor that V-Power might have a slightly higher true octane reading as it REALLY adds power to a car, lol.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So master p is making me look like an idiot for no reason? Maybe sasols additive has an effect making you car lighter on fuel. As for vpower, its still my favourite, there is a clear difference in power when using shell, also while doing tests on my dads turbo BMW boxer bike, at the highest safe boost the vpower is the only fuel that did not ping.

P

·
0 Posts
Yes the base used is the same, but as Guili says they add different additives like V-Power, Techron etc..

A few of my friends and I had a little argument and decided to do a little test the other day... Took a few empty clear 2l Coke bottles and poured all the different makes of 95 petrol in it.

Engine , Sasol, Shell, Caltex, Total and BP... you can clearly see the difference in the petrol's colour when its placed next to one another and this is all due to different additives added to the same base that is used by all fuel suppliers.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
ok question.. if they all filling at the same depos and all using the same tanks to full up. compartments are loaded according to delivery and not octain. when do they add the additive

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Ok,

In 2005 the branded trucks for the respective petrol brands stopped using their brands on the trucks as some of them in the mainland would getfel from Sasol and some at the coast would get fuel at Shell and PetroSA etc...they then started using unmarked trucks to load fuel, either LRP or 93 or 95 etc.

Some of the tankers hav compartments as you stated that already has an additive. Some add the additive at another depot...where i have no clue.

The guys who do the NDT on the tankers to search for leaks by means of small cracks will attest that tankers have compartments..lill try and confirm this.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
That excludes filling at depos up here.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The compartments inside tankers are there for 2 reasons. The first is to prevent lateral sloshing of the fuel so they have compartments seperating the fuel tank into 5 or 6 cells down the length, and to prevent side-to-side sloshing so they also have compartments seperating each cell into two or three. This improves the trailer's stability with a partial load.

There may be an additive compartment that contains the additives, or there may be a depot where the additives are added. In my experience, I can feel slightly more power from BP (I have no idea why and I would normaly be the first to state that getting additional power from different fuels is rubbish!) at the expense of fuel consumption, and get the best fuel consumption from Caltex. Weird.

Just like everyone's work place gets audited every now and then to ensure conformity, I also firmly beleive that fuel depots, refineries and distributors get audited to ensure quality so I will beleive that they do add their special sauce even though who knows, techron may be V-Power may be Evolution but as long as they add it and it does what is said on the box...

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
(I have no idea why and I would normaly be the first to state that getting additional power from different fuels is rubbish!)
when driving a turbo car there is a big difference, you should know this driving a turbo car at sealevel, ping at that altitude with only 95 is easy to get, in other words to avoid ping the timing is retarted by the computer and you have less performance

on NA cars can see why you would tell someone its rubbish stories beacause on NA you barely score a kw buuuuttt you get much smoother revving and throttle response

I filled up with Total on Wednesday and the car feels so sluggish compared to Shell who ran out of 95.
totally agree hey, total isnt for me....

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Yes everyone swears by BP when they go race, when they put the ice packs on the intake manifolds they even insist on ice bought from BP...LMFAOOOO

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Geez same trip today, only this time i got 7.7L/100Km!!! WTF?! i think my car hears me crying into my pillow at night about these insanely rising petrol prices, so there you go they have hearts, its true what they say, without heart we would be mere machines.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hahahaha! well on a busso, who cares about fuel consumption? the sound and performance is worth every drop! in my case i have a 'ol 4 pot engine, and while its fun to drive and has considerable pull its just not worth it if it has seriously bad consumption aswell but anything between 8 and 10 for me is good enough :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts