Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any lurkers on here who are previous Mito owners? I can get rid of my 105 sprint in November back to dealer (pcp) and good riddance I am afraid. While I love that little car which I purchased at 4 years old I found out about a rusty exhaust and oil leak on gearbox within a month of purchase. The car also sounds to clanky when you pull up to slow down to stop or park (panting like it's just about finished almost sounds like a deisel).

So, I am wondering what to get next and the gluten for punishment that I am a Giulietta is my first choice (Alfa do make really attractive cars so I am seemingly style over substance to some) but I ought to be open to other similar sized cars so wondered who made a change from a Mito and what you went on to. I am also considering H. Civic (though hate the looks), Scirocco (though I'd have to go pretty old in my price bracket). Or maybe I should just do the Astra or Fiesta thing.

I just wonder what others who moved on from Mito actually moved on to and their experience, though with used cars they are all much of a muchness and I could still end up with a German or Japanese lemon knowing my luck.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
After three Alfas (last being a MiTo) I won't have another one. My current car is a 2011 Focus which hasn't had a single problem in the 40k miles I've done in it. Its the diesel Powershift Titanium X version and I'd have another one tomorrow if it died.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Focus was not on my list, probably as my late parents had one (though it was old, it didn't cost much in terms of repairs tbh). I have seen the more modern ones which obviously look so much better. I honestly think that their 11 year old Focus drove much nicer than my 2012 Mito and that also goes for a family member who bought a 12 year old volvo estate (leather spec) and the car also drives better than the Mito I have AND the volvo is a diesel. Not sure if it is that the Mito I have is a lemon or that I ought to think about moving away from Alfa before I really end up shelling out if I get another. Glad you've found something you like, that's all I want with the next one, to enjoy it and keep until its knackered over the course of some years.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I was very disappointed with my MiTo. It was the 155hp Veloce version. The engine was lovely but the ride and handling were shocking. I think it cost me on average about £200 a month in repairs whilst I had it (gearbox, aircon compressor, strut tops, seat back release cable, tailgate wiring harness, seized rear calipers, seized pins in both front calipers etc).
The newer shape Focus (not the Aston style one) is very nice and lovely inside. Its a small Mondeo.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I was very disappointed with my MiTo. It was the 155hp Veloce version. The engine was lovely but the ride and handling were shocking. I think it cost me on average about £200 a month in repairs whilst I had it (gearbox, aircon compressor, strut tops, seat back release cable, tailgate wiring harness, seized rear calipers, seized pins in both front calipers etc).
The newer shape Focus (not the Aston style one) is very nice and lovely inside. Its a small Mondeo.
I wish the mito was better. Panda 100 kicks its but for grin factor.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,018 Posts
"I am wondering what to get next and the gluten for punishment that I am a Giulietta is my first choice "
I like the idea of a gluten for punishment!
The Giulietta is much better and should not punish you at all. Especially in the steering department. The biggest post seems to be about changing the grille for the latest type: a true indication of its reliability.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Recently sold my Mito 1.6D, which was my first car, after 2.5 years. While I loved it it definitely wasn’t problem free and had more issues than you’d expect a supermini to have.

I’ve always adored the Brera and had a Brera S on my bucket list. With my line of work once you pass certain exams you get a nice substantial pay rise which I’ll get in 12-15 months and promised myself I’d do it then. Always been an impulsive person though and saw a well priced Brera S and before I knew it I’d driven 5 hours to swap cars.

Will just live off cereal for the next 12-15 months...

Loving it so far although there will undoubtedly be pain/major expense lurking round the corner.

Have you considered a Mazda 3? They look good in a good trim/colour and I really enjoyed driving one. Likely to be reliable too and not as common as a Focus etc.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I had a 2013 MiTo 1.3 JTDm Distinctive from 2014-2017. I had an issue with a loose brake calliper when I first bought it, which was rather concerning, but after that not a thing went wrong for the three years I had it. True, the ride was dreadful, but the handling I wasn't overly bothered about, coming from a series of older Fiats. The refinement definitely wasn't great though.

I bought a 16 plate Giulietta, a 1.6 JTDm Super. The Giulietta rides & handles much better than the MiTo and (post 2014 at least) is far more refined. Mine is proving to be badly built and riddled with annoying niggly faults, but I think that's more to do with Alfa's inconsistent quality control than any inherant problem with the Giulietta - some people have MiTo's that are awful and well-behaved Giulietta's.

I'd say take a look at the Giulietta, but don't ignore the competition like I did, as there are some genuinely good rivals out there too. The aftersales/customer service will undoubtedly be better with rivals like Honda, but you've got to get past the divisive looks of the Civic, which I happen to quite like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 09 plate mito 155bph now has 82000 miles and just gone through the mot with just a new rear tyre, and it was the same tyre that was on the car when I bought it 4 years ago. In the years i've had it the only issue was a snapped coil spring and i get the odd steering sensor lock issue. I'm also think maybe it's time for change. I've been and had a look at a seat leon FR, Mazda 3, merc a180, but i do line audi a3 saloon s line. The problem is altough I could afford one on finance I don't really want to be spending that type of money. I have got to put the mito into the garage for the cambelt doing in a few weeks and that will cost me £280 plus service costs, so i have a decision to make. oh just remembered the boot stopped catch stopped working but i just fixed the snapped wire :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've just traded my 2013 135MA Sportiva after 5 years for a BMW 118i M Sport Shadow Edition. The difference is night and day. I've liked the quality or ride of my Mito, I wanted to trade up to the Giulietta but the latest reincarnation in horrible and it's pretty old now. I'm not a fan of the Giulia either, looks like a Passat.

Here's my old and new car.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so far then I am thinking about:

Giulietta
Honda Civic
Scirocco
Mazda 3 - again not keen on appearance, test drove the 2 before the Mito also
Astra
Fiesta

I even may consider a Nissan Juke and a Renault Megane coupe but to be honest though none of the above apart from the Guilietta are that appealing to me.

Honda Civic may sway it due to the fact I had to call out recovery on Saturday as the car did not shut my lights off on Friday evening so on Saturday morning the alarm went off and then I tried to start the car and dead with all sorts of warning lights.

Nice chap from AA came and he told me he had a Civic and since he does roadside I asked his opinion and he said the Civic or Mazda 3 are good choices for reliability. BMW and other German, class cars but it is the hi-tech within them that causes problems (think that's what he said). He never said a word about Italian cars.

Case on Saturday morning is another reason why I want to get shot of the car as soon as I can now to be honest. Fault codes appearing on the report he did so I want to ride this out and get rid. Not spending more money on it.

I know there must be some great Mitos out there but for those of us who get lemons it's a real shame as I would have considered a higher powered Mito, but now I think my little Alfa journey might come to end of the year.

I am looking forward to some test drives of the Giulietta, even if I don't buy one.

Willoman, your BMW1 looks nice, if I was getting one, I'd go for white as I would with the Giulietta especially. More importantly though hope you enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
36,018 Posts
I've just traded my 2013 135MA Sportiva after 5 years for a BMW 118i M Sport Shadow Edition. The difference is night and day. I've liked the quality or ride of my Mito, I wanted to trade up to the Giulietta but the latest reincarnation in horrible and it's pretty old now. I'm not a fan of the Giulia either, looks like a Passat.

Here's my old and new car.
You obviously have an interesting aesthetic perspective as somebody who bought the rather ugly BMW 1 series three door.
Most people barely spot the difference in the latest Giulietta except many who want to update their older cars with the new grille. But best of all? The Giulia looks like a Passat! That had certainly never occurred to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will go for Mito again, just top level qv 170 cv TCT :clap:. I love this car. Now I have 2009. Mito t-jet 155cv. Had some Hyundai i30, Focus, Bmw 3, but Mito is car made for me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I sort of count here, in that i now have a new car, but i still have the mito as The wife uses it. New car is an alfa giulia veloce ?

My mito is the 1.3jtdm i got it at 3 years old with 57,000 miles. Its now done 125,000 miles. I went through a bunch of injectors, they leaked aroubd the head which must have kill them because after fixing the leak, they all died quite quickly, over the next year ir so. Used refurb ones to replace so it wasnt too bad cost wise. Other than a new battery, thats it. Nothing. Even the tyres are the brakes last ages. While the ride wasnt great, im quite fond if my little mito. The fiesta is much better to drive. I would have a fiesta st if i didnt need a bigger car.... and got a car allowance from work

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Funnily enough the little chuff Mito of mine passed the MOT yesterday and the only advisory is the one I know about on the exhaust which as I say don't want to deal with since I hope to be rid of the car by the end of the year. I haven't really spent that much on what HAD to be done, two tyres and a new clutch. I chose to put the cambelt on straight after purchase and the annual services (which my friends think is too expensive). Car drove quite nice today probably because I had the music turned up a bit so I don't have to listen to it. That's another thing. At first the stereo (not Bose) was acceptable and I don't play music too loud by any means but now it seems it can't handle base and the left door speaker sounds like its shot to me which spoils things a bit too.

Yes the ride is not great but I blame the state of the roads, get them on a smooth road and I don't think they are that bad.

I am looking forward to doing some test drives anyway so I can see what's out there and how they feel.

Forgot to add how are you liking the Giulia..................... or am I asking a dumb question there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You obviously have an interesting aesthetic perspective as somebody who bought the rather ugly BMW 1 series three door.
Most people barely spot the difference in the latest Giulietta except many who want to update their older cars with the new grille. But best of all? The Giulia looks like a Passat! That had certainly never occurred to me.
I made a few mistakes in my last comment. I meant to say i never liked the ride quality of the Mito.

I suppose it's personal preference. I like the BMW and you like the Giulia. That's fine as it would be boring and annoying if everyone liked the same cars and women. I loved the Giulietta when it came out, my Dad worked for Fiat so had Giulietta's all the time.I wanted one but couldn't afford one so i bought a Mito, which i always regretted. Just now though the G has been around too long and needed replacing long ago. The latest look doesn't appeal to me as much as the previous, it's just my opinion.

I do though think that the Giulia looks like a Passat. If you look at a basic one next to a Passat, ignore the grill at the front and it's a twin! I just think they missed a trick. I read that a new boss of Alfa took over and scrapped the Giulia design and started a fresh, they just made it look like every other saloon car on the road. Alfa's are meant to be different and exciting to look at. The inside of the Giulia is very nice indeed though..... The same bloke probably designed the Fiat 124 Spider, that car is stuck in the early 80's!

·
Registered
36,018 Posts
i never said I like the look of the Giulia. IT was reverse engineered from the 3series at a frantic pace especially compared to the time spent doing all he grooves and stuff on the, fwd proportioned, Passat. The 124 interior may have been influenced by what they were getting from Mazda. I still like the old Giulietta. I'm on my second and when my wife and I went to order it I led her towards and round the Giulia with a view to being persuaded. No way. It made her feel it was for older people. I'm sure would have liked to testdrive one.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I'm going for a mito next even though I know it has its faults. At the end of the day to me it's the last of a great line of alfas that started with the Sud. Alfa are currently obsessed with making luxury cars and I don't have the resources to play that game and if I did I'd get a Maserati.
So the plan is: veloce, magneso grey, red leather and enjoy the last of the cars made for the masses before alfa gives up on its greatest idea.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
At the moment i drive a Mito 1.4 95hp natural aspirated. Might go for the Giulietta 1.4 170hp turbo charged. Tempted to get the VW mk6 1.4 TSI but im afraid it wont be as fun to drive as my brother MK5 TSI (170hp) feels absolutely disconnected from the road even compared to my Mito hence not fun to drive.

What are the tuning potential of the 1.4 Giulietta 170hp?

·
Registered
36,018 Posts
The 170 hp is already twice that of your Mito. Why does it need tuning? If you avoid the heavy, but better looking, 18" wheels it's plenty fast as a next step. It probably won't feel much faster as its handling is better though. My first Giulietta felt slower than the 147 Q2 that preceded it but according to the trip computers it was on average quite a bit faster. The Mito can "feel" fast.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts