Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my QV for almost half a year now and wanted to share my thoughts after having walked away from BMW after 2 decades of Beemer ownership.

My fave car and M3 has always been the E46 M3, a car that I genuinely bonded with and tried desperately to replace with the car that superseded it, the E92 M3. Upon driving one, it felt soulless in comparison and the rod bearing issue was a problem I didn't want hanging over my head so tried the M2, the car lauded as the "spiritual successor" to the E46 M3 and it felt nothing of the sort, if anything it was a big let down after all the hype and the interior was a complete and utter joke.

The F80s had originally appealed to me but upon learning about the crank hub issue tied into the general direction of the BMW I opted to look elsewhere and that's when I fell in love with the Giulia QV.

The QV pretty much ticks all the boxes I personally need in a car, it looks amazing, I have the comp red and its an amazing colour. The car has the bucket seats and I have to say they really set up off the interior and one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on this car as it was the perfect spec imo.

The car drives really well, always feels direct and very planted (running Michelin PS4s). The car spends pretty much all its time in Race mode and God, the sound it makes! I love just how rapidly it gathers speed and recently had a "play" with a 458 (on a closed private track 馃槵) and the Alfa did itself proud.

It gets attention in the way that none of my previous cars have ever attracted, lots of thumbs up and side eye glances from M3/M4 and AMG drivers:ROFLMAO:. Even had a wee teeny bopper at the McDonalds drive thru (dont judge me, I was only there for a latte!) tell me how the Alfa was her favourite car which I found quite surprising. Another good point is that I feel (maybe wrongly) that if I pop the car into A mode I can waft around unnoticed, that's a bonus.

The only downers are the comically bad sound system, I love my music whilst driving and the speakers are just sooo bad and the amount of petrol it drinks. Not that I wasnt expecting it but it would be great if it was just a tad more economical as often like to go out for a hoon and it appears to cost 拢20-拢30 per hoon.

The best compliment I can pay this car is by stating I feel that the QV is the best replacement for the E46 M3. They both feel of similar size, give the same amount of feedback and generate similar levels of driver involvement and equally sure footed and chuckable.

I cant think of another car that ticks so many boxes which leads to me think she's a keeper!

Registered
Out of interest the op drives in race mode most of the time. Guess this mode drinks the juice at a much faster rate than the dynamic mode. What's others thoughts/findings.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of interest the op drives in race mode most of the time. Guess this mode drinks the juice at a much faster rate than the dynamic mode. What's others thoughts/findings.

I had read somewhere before that having exhaust valves open does add to the rate that cars drink fuel, not sure how true that is though but know that the QV is more economical if in A mode

Registered
Its just the boggo standard not the Harmon K system. Its really flat sounding so will look into upgrading the speakers at some point
Phew, I went with the HK system so was worried you were going to say it sounded poor. Also can't stand poor sound systems and I've put up with the boggo one in my A4 for long enough and it's awful.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phew, I went with the HK system so was worried you were going to say it sounded poor. Also can't stand poor sound systems and I've put up with the boggo one in my A4 for long enough and it's awful.
Honestly, the current speakers are messing with me! It's especially noticeable on MP3s that are of a slightly lower bit rate, the other issue I forgot to mention was not being able to set up playlists properly on the USB.

Registered
Stelvio QV my20
I sat in a goodwood track day a couple of weeks ago - was on holiday there.
E46 m3 had the second best noise there IMO.
CL Amg not sure if it was 55 or 63 - it was definitely an NA - was third best - though seemed totally undriveable.
Two biggest aural disappointments were amg gtr and 720s - tough perhaps they had to be muzzled in some way.
here is what was by far the best and seemed like it had most fun followed by McLaren, mx5 and lotuses.
From what I get to hear from my Stelvio I think giulia qv would take the top spot for the noise.
F80 m3, the amg, the porsches all seemed very clinical - very competent but not fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sat in a goodwood track day a couple of weeks ago - was on holiday there.
E46 m3 had the second best noise there IMO.
CL Amg not sure if it was 55 or 63 - it was definitely an NA - was third best - though seemed totally undriveable.
Two biggest aural disappointments were amg gtr and 720s - tough perhaps they had to be muzzled in some way.
here is what was by far the best and seemed like it had most fun followed by McLaren, mx5 and lotuses.
From what I get to hear from my Stelvio I think giulia qv would take the top spot for the noise.
F80 m3, the amg, the porsches all seemed very clinical - very competent but not fun.

View attachment 953444

View attachment 953445
Tbh, I will always remember the buzzy scream of a straight 6 in an E46 M3

Registered
Honestly, the current speakers are messing with me! It's especially noticeable on MP3s that are of a slightly lower bit rate, the other issue I forgot to mention was not being able to set up playlists properly on the USB.
Tbh the HK doesn't like lower bitrate Mp3. It doesn't "flatter" poor quality recordings/rips at all. Put decent quality through it and I personally think the HK sounds pretty good. Try using a Flac file instead of mp3, it may sound better.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tbh the HK doesn't like lower bitrate Mp3. It doesn't "flatter" poor quality recordings/rips at all. Put decent quality through it and I personally think the HK sounds pretty good. Try using a Flac file instead of mp3, it may sound better.
I dont have the HK, just the boggo standard system.

Does the system read playlists if converted to Flac do you know? Been trying to set up MP3 playlists to no avail

Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio MY20

I don't think there's any economical difference between Dynamic and Race. I have the exhaust mod and so, more often than not now, drive in Dynamic over Race. Absolutely no fuel saving. It's more down to how much exhaust you want to hear. I've found a direct correlation between valves open and worse fuel economy. Wonder why

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts