Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished changing the cambelt and waterpump on my Puma.

It was an absolute *&%@$%!!! of a job.

There is a serious lack of room, you have to move things like the PAS pump, and engine mounting to get the cam cover off and no matter which bit you are trying to remove there is always one bolt holding it that is impossible to get to.

Changing an Alfa TS belt is a walk in the park in comparison.

I am now going to apply some Antiseptic to all of the cuts and scratches I have over my hands and arms.

On the bright side it only needs doing every 5 years or 80k and the chance of me still having the car then is slim.

So if you get a garage that won't work on your Alfa you can tell them that they are easier to work on than Ford's. :thumbs:

V

·
0 Posts
To contrast the only ford I've ever done work on is my probe. Was the easiest thing ever, loads of room much easier than the 156.

D

·
0 Posts
i changed the plugs and done an oil change on the ST this weekend, so easy and no worry of stripping the sump plug. at least its not an every 36k change for the belts symon.

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i changed the plugs and done an oil change on the ST this weekend, so easy and no worry of stripping the sump plug. at least its not an every 36k change for the belts symon.
I did the oil change on mine last week, and I had a helluva job to undo the sump plug. It rounded off with a regular socket, so I ended up using a Metrinch spanner and extension tube on it.

The sump is also ally just the same as on an Alfa..

The plugs look easy though, and it only has 4 of them. Plus the standard ones only cost about £2 each from euro car parts.

K

·
0 Posts
Most modern fords are the same in that stuff that needs doing regularly like filters, oil and plugs is a piece of ****. Anything less mainstream like belts or clutches is an absolute *******.

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Puma belts are famous for being a ***** cow job. Be happy you saved yourself around £200 or so by doing it yourself.
If I know what I know now I would probably spend the £200..

Having said that it too about 10 hours to do the job at a steady pace, and I wouldn't have earned £20 an hour if I went to work.

At least the cambelt kit, waterpump and camcover agskets were cheap. I think all of the bits cost me around £60 all in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts