stopping on the approach to lights.
(My driving or a general diesel thing?)

The interior is plain nasty.
Cheap and no gadgets apart from a
Sony stereo with duff speakers.

Ford: Leave out the "aluminium" painted
plastic. It's fooling no one!

Hire car with about 8K miles.
Better than most, would've preferred a 159.
;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stalling is not a diesel thing..its probably an engine management glitch.

Which engine was it..there are various power TDCi engines

AlfaLincs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stalling is not a diesel thing..its probably an engine management glitch.

Which engine was it..there are various power TDCi engines

AlfaLincs
Stalling is not a diesel thing, but does seem to be a ford diesel thing. My dad had a focus hire car a couple of years ago and had the same, the turbo was in no way progressive either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: its a ford... at Aintree track day I had Hm's mate come upto me after he overtook me in his ST 2.5 V6 (I think) and his words " **** your car is fast" was on the back straight I was in third at 80 and let off to let him pass before the bend as you do ;)

Edit to say I was in my 17 year old 75 V6

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think ST TDCi is 2.2 170bhp.
Quick, and like most diesels run out of steam quick too, i nearly ran in the back of one in a saab turbo - he changed up a cog, I used the revs of a petrol, his next cog lost him power to the wheels and time, my extra revs nearly put me in his boot!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think ST TDCi is 2.2 170bhp.
Quick, and like most diesels run out of steam quick too, i nearly ran in the back of one in a saab turbo - he changed up a cog, I used the revs of a petrol, his next cog lost him power to the wheels and time, my extra revs nearly put me in his boot!
I thought the 2.2 were 150BHP. Mrs. AF has 130 Ghia automatic. There is not much pull low down but the quick gear changes on the auto give a steady stream of uninterupted power which makes it feel quite good. The ghia models do have a few toys. I quite like the interior as it goes, plastic is plastic no matter which way you dress it up after all.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My diesel Grande Punto is a bit of pig with its stalling. There doesn't seem to be alot of torque without the turbo and also the first centimetre of throttle does bugger all. Maybe the Ford is the same.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
I had one as a hire car too recently.I was quite impressed.Handling/ride/steering is all spot on.

Much better body control and composure over bumpy b roads than my old 156.

Engine not as nice as in my old Accord icdti,though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The engine I have in my Alfa is one of the smoother diesels I have driven, I have owned a few VAG PD engines and experienced the PSU diesel they put in the Fords and the Alfa is second only to BMW IMO, although is it a GM engine the 140hp 16v JTD?

Either way, I would rather stick to my smooth, progressive 140hp Alfa than my harsh and aggressive 185/300lb/ft VAG engine!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All Alfa diesels are Fiat designed & produced but I beieve as part of the co-ownership GM funded the development.

The 1.9 JTD 16v and 2.4 20v may be a little rough on the outside (although they still sound way better than the Mondy/X-type) but they are incredibly smooth on the inside.

What amazes me is why Ford use the Transit diesel in the Mondy & X-type as apposed to the better VAG engine used in the Focus?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts