Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has just purchased this car. With such a tiny engine I expected it to be a little underpowered. Not so. This 1.0 ltr, 3-cylinder turbo engine packs a surprising punch.

He reckons it's nearly as fast as his old Audi 1.8 cabriolet, and after driving both the little Focus comes close.

Tax on the Focus is sub-£100 and insurance is dirt cheap. It drives beautifully... win win win based on my short test drive.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's a properly clever little engine that. 123bhp from a 1 litre is something that only a few years ago would have been unthinkable in a run of the mill production car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16,220 Posts
How does it sound? I ask because my only experience of 3-pot is in small crap French cars and Daewoo's, both of which sounded, felt and performed like there was a plug lead off.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Is this really anything new?
The Japanese were putting 3 pot turbos
in cars since the mid 80s.

Okay, the power output has been increased
but that's after 30 years of development.

KERS powered turbos are another add-on.
Does Ecoboost use that?

KB is right about the sound. Thus in a Mustang: Meh!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does it sound? I ask because my only experience of 3-pot is in small crap French cars and Daewoo's, both of which sounded, felt and performed like there was a plug lead off.
As you can imagine KB, it sounds like a very small engine. That said it doesn't sound like a washing machine. Once you're inside you don't really notice. In isolation it sounds really good.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a properly clever little engine that. 123bhp from a 1 litre is something that only a few years ago would have been unthinkable in a run of the mill production car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Indeed. It's a proper car that does 60-odd miles to the gallon (or litre).

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a 150hp in the Focus. Even better.
Not in my brothers. Certainly doesn't feel or sound like 150hp. Not sure of the engine spec but it's a 2013 plate. Very impressive nonetheless.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
My dad has a 1.6 Ecoboost Fiest ST, and it is great.

No where near the official MPG figures though in normal driving.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Isn't there a thread on Piston Heads about them going pop early on in their lives?

·
Registered
37,943 Posts
Just did a search on there and it doesn't seem so.
More discussion about torque curves and power per litre.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Those engines do not get anywhere near their claimed fuel consumption figures.

The 1.6 specifically has been bursting into flames in South Africa, due to oil leaks from the head.

·
Registered
37,943 Posts
The 1.6 petrol Kuga is very rare here but I haven't heard of them bursting into flames here in Europe.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It's not only the Kuga/Escape. It's been extended to the Fiesta ST as well now, and possibly others and other engine sizes.

Even if they have not been bursting into flames in Europe, I'd still be concerned about the fact (confirmed by Ford) that the engine fires are the result of oil leaking from cracks in the cylinder head. A cylinder head that cracks as a result of slight overheating (not warned about by the car's instrumentation) is not good!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts