Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off to oz in Feb and am looking at buying one of these.

Is anyone aware of these and whether they are any good?

I am looking at one for $22/24k on an 02/03 MY. I think they look nice and seem good value for 254bhp but not sure if they are any good.

All info greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
A bit too common nowadays but still packs a lot of bang for your dollar.

Also, no serious reliability issues with it.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
These are 'honest' cars and good value when you consider they were between the price of a 2.0TS Alfa 147/156 when new. However, as you are getting a lot of car for the money, the car will not be trimmed to European standards.This car also does not come with the equivalent of VDC so being RWD will be more 'exciting' in the wet than a FWD Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
unless my calculations are incorrect (and i suspect they are) that 6 cylinder turbo charged engine outputs 170 odd BHP ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have driven one of these back from the South Coast to Canberra (about 300kms). My overall impression was that it is a fantastic car and great bang for your buck. Stright-line performance is outstanding. For such a big car with a very comfortable ride, she cornered flatly and steered well.
A real sleeper performance wise, with plenty more power obtainable with a few mods. I have heard that 300kw is easily doable.
All of this in a large comfortable family sedan for not much money - brilliant value!

From memory there are three main options to look for when buying one.
1. Brake pack. The standard stoppers are not up to the task up repeatedly hauling this thing to a stop from warp speed.
2. Leather trim. Not Alfa quality but probably better than the fairly ordinary cloth seats.
3. Premium sound pack. Better CD, more speakers etc.

The car I drove had the brake pack and had the auto tranny. We flogged it coming down the Clyde mountain. No brake fade and tremendous stopping power.

Unfortunately, the colour range is fairly hideous.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I don't know much about Aurstrallion cars but I'm sure the answer is "Get a Holden Commodore". :)

Ralf S>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I don't know much about Aurstrallion cars but I'm sure the answer is "Get a Holden Commodore".
Nope - car magazines around these parts love comparing Falcons and Commodores, and the one you want is the Falcon XR6 Turbo (not the standard XR6), in automatic even. It gets rated above equivalent age Commodores, and above the V8 Falcons thanks to its better handling (lighter engine). Of course Ford make sure to tune it so it's a little slower than the V8 XR8 on paper, but you can soon fix that.
For various Australian type reasons Falcodores apparently make good sense in Australia. Imported cars often get detuned and are too expensive, and I believe some of the states have laws limiting the amount of modifications you can make to your car. So it's hard to develop a boy racer special to toast a Falcodore with..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts