Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 17 years, the F is no longer the most sold vehicle in the US. In May 2008, the Honda Civic :)rolleyes:) became the most sold vehicle with 53,299 units.

The SUV market is done and dusted IMO.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
and ford reckon they can now sell fiesta's (or verve) there

the single thing i like about america is all the big V8's :lol:

im afraid for our petrolhead futures in this eco world

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
They drive every where over there, makes sense to have something more economical, whether fuel is cheap or not.

(he says tucking his V6 keys into his pocket) :D

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
That's not what you were saying a couple of months ago... :p

·
Registered
32,440 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Well, after 17 years, the F is no longer the most sold vehicle in the US. In May 2008, the Honda Civic :)rolleyes:) became the most sold vehicle with 53,299 units.

The SUV market is done and dusted IMO.
That may well be the case (although I don't believe it for a second) but the slip of the F-series has nothing to do with SUVs. The F-series models are trucks, not SUVs. They have a different purpose and a different market.

Supposedly, according to GM (again this is suspect due to recent circumstances with union negotiations and government hand-outs -- do an Internet search for "CAW" and "Oshawa truck assembly plant if you want the details) the decline of the U.S. housing market and the subsequent credit crunch, means that over the last two weeks (and they're very specific about that time frame) the sales of trucks (not SUVs) have fallen. Supposedly contractors and construction workers (all those people who use their trucks when building and renovating houses) have stopped buying trucks for work.

Yes I know that the F-series trucks are produced by Ford, and I was talking about GM in the paragraph above. Still a lot of what GM is saying is relevant (even if I'm not sure if it's one-hundred per cent accurate. The "two week" timeframe has been disputed by the local union, but I do believe there is evidence for a bit of truck sale slippage over the past few months). I'm sure the housing crunch is hurting lots of potential truck buyers, as is the credit crunch.

From a purely anecdotal point of view, I swear I've seen more trucks on the road over the last few months than I ever have -- and I do mean trucks, not SUVs or crossovers.

I'm very happy going out on a limb and saying that this isn't the end of the truck.
--Toronto

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But aren't most SUVs in the US (not the European ones, like the X5, ML etc) based on actual Truck chassis?

I thought that was the case, partly to take advantage of more advantageous taxation and also as it'd be easier to build SUVs off a Truck production line.

But point taken on the impact of the construction industry on Truck sales.

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts