Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
It says that the dash is 156 in the details. The original 3 litres were a handful in the wet, this must be impossible.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Looks quite a neat install of the dash - bet he had fun getting the instruments to match up!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Wow, they really have turned it into a mini-mustang! I like it, sort of...

That'd be one helluva car if it had Jag independent rear suspension too, but just a standard 2.8 LSD live axle ?! The best "driver's car" Capri was the 2.0s (100bhp, single leaf rear springs), and even the 2.8i could bite you on the bum if not handled carefully, so I dread to think how that thing goes round corners...

Probably backwards :biglaugh:

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
All Capris had benign handling. Give it too much boot, the back steps out entirely predictably, ease off, it comes back in. Or control it through steering with levels of communication that modern cars can only dream of. None of this lift off oversteer nonsense, or incredible levels of grip such that, once they are exceeded it's at 150mph and you fly off a cliff backwards.

I love the idea of a 5.0 Capri but I'd prefer it to look a little bit more factory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Capri with benign handling!? I'm a fan of Capris, I've owned three, but I'm not going to ignore their foibles, they're essentially, large pendulums. With absolutely no weight over the rear wheels they're tail happy (to say the least) and not in a nice predictable, controllable kind of way, more in a "I'm facing backwards now, how did this happen?" type of way. I've spun in ways which seemingly defied the laws of physics, travelling so slowly and carefully then "gracefully" pirouetting in place.

So really abysmal handling vehicles and this one looks abysmal also. Hate those wheel arches, that rear spoiler makes me want to vomit and the dashboard is totally incongruous, nice paint job though!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I totally agree, four here, Mk2 1.6l, late Mk3 2.0S, 2.8i, 2.0 laser with Sierra efi / head, and the only one I'd say handled predictably was the 2.0S (which was great fun, you could kick the tail out and still be in control).

The chassis was basically from the early 1960s (mk2 cortina mcpherson front, leaf sprung 'live' axle at the rear) so it's no surprise most 3.0S and 2.8is ended up in ditches long before the rust bug ate them - there was way too much power going through the primitive suspension for most average drivers to cope with.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Ford Capri. Along with the Mustang they adorned the walls of my bedroom.
I still have never owned either.

I do look at them and feel unlike may other old cars (from yesterday) that I have owned myself, the Capri still looks good. But then I never owned one :lol:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You'd probably love it if you gave one a try, they really were a British Great - easy to work on, fast (for their time) in a straight line, and driving one was a unique experience for a UK car. Looking out over that long bonnet, arm resting on the curved door, big recessed dashboard full of dials, you really did feel like Steve McQueen in Bullitt :)

OTOH it's still not an Alfa and IMO between it's poor brakes (no abs, front discs easily warped, drums at rear) and poor handling it's not really a safe car to use in a modern rush hour on the motorway. Wish they'd done one fitted with a Busso and an Alfetta transaxle / rear suspension...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts