Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a newbie on here and to Alfas. I recently bought a 156 sportwagon, for a very good price:D . Probably due to the diesel type sound coming from the petrol engine! I researched the problem on here and came up with, what seems to be the common problem of the variator.
With another quick search for recommend garages in the Northwest I found HRG, Heath Road Garage in Sandbatch, Cheshire, run by Alfie who is a really nice guy and very knowledgeable on the Alfas.
To top it off the service was great and the price was well worth the 70 mile round trip, £523.56 for a new variator, cambelt, gasket,seal,spark plugs, low speed resistor on the rad and plugged into the diagnostics and he also gave the whole car the once over. All this for just over £500 :D
So if any of you people need any work doing on your Alfas I can certainly highly recommend Alfie and HRG.

Many thanks to Alfaowners.com and Alfie.

·
Registered
204 Posts
nice one Rob.
i too have recently got a sportwagon and im loving every minute (its a v6:D )
and as gibbo says its nice to hear from someone getting a good service:)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I should add that I recently had great service from SGT in Taplow. They've always been good there, but recently the courtesy and efficiency of the service department seems to have gone up a notch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mines only the 1.8ts, I was looking for the 2.4jtd but couldn't find one in my price bracket. After looking at a few others a found this one, Its in really good condition far better than the others and a grand cheaper, happy days.
PS
like the rims Bob, mines silver and I was thinking of have mine done in black. but it looks like you beat me to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is this diesel sound you talk of, is the entire time or just at start up ???
When you fired it up it sounded just like a diesel.
After a bit of digging around on here, I kept on coming up with the same thing " if it sounds like a diesel its the variator that fooooked"
So I had it done and it sounds sweet now:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just called alfie at HRG to arange a check up on the new car i'm getting, really helpful guy, i'm in Liverpool so he's a good distance from em but will be making the journey !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just called alfie at HRG to arange a check up on the new car i'm getting, really helpful guy, i'm in Liverpool so he's a good distance from em but will be making the journey !
I'm in Atherton north Manchester, it about a 70 mile round trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm is the variator expensive to fix?

Mine sometimes sounds like a diesel on start up :( But when i had it serviced, he didn't mention it ???
The variator was about £87 plus vat. But you may as well have the cam belts done at the same time, so thats another £100 plus vat and fitting costs:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Some dealers won't automatically replace the variator, seeing as technically it being knackered doesn't harm the engine in any way, but they should notice it's broken and let you know at least. Over here in the UK it's normally taken as read that the variator gets replaced along with belts, but maybe in Oz dealers think differently?

In any case if your car sounds like a diesel on startup it's the variator, so best to get it changed :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just spotted this thread - and it kind've addresses a query I was going to add in a thread of my own. I'm about to have to entrust my beloved GT to a dealer for it's first service but have heard no end of tales of how bad the Alfa dealer network is. Surely it's not that bad? If it is, can anyone recommend either a dealer or an independant in the Northants/Warwicks/Buckinghamshire area for servicing? Otherwise, I'll be up to Alfie's with it since I drive past his garage when I go and pick my daughter up from Manchester......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts