Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I arrived at a clients yesterday a police car followed me into the car park and pulled up behind me, my first thought was I'd got a little carried way with the right foot. As I got out he got out and came up to me and said "This is the first one I've seen and I had to come and have a closer look, it's a gorgeous car" :thumbs: nice to know the boys in blue appreciate a proper motor :)
Wonder if he'd have left me off if I had been speeding?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying my best not to get pulled but it's so hard in the QV, :) I've only just got rid of my last 3 points I got in my 159 so don't want anymore just yet.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
my IAMs instructor is 'plod', and he told me off for not "driving such a beautiful car to its potential today" ... :-(

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
When I first got my Brera I had the cops follow me round the M25 a few times. I'd sit with cruise on at 70mph. On more than one occassion as they passed me, the passenger would mouth over "nice car" with a nod & smile.

David, when I did my IAM test (a couple of decades ago), my examiner was the police examiner. After he'd done a check of the car, we got in and he told me that he expected me to drive legally but using the car to its potential - i.e. it's not about shuffling your hands round the wheel, or crawling behind other vehicles. If it's safe and legal, go for it. (note: I'm not suggesting you should follow my advice more than your instructor, he knows better than I do)
Note 2: if you haven't already borrowed or bought a copy of Roadcraft, do so, it's the best way to learn how the cops do it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did my IAM test many years ago and was told the same, it's about driving safely yet positively, in fact you're marked down for not overtaking if you can do so safely and legally or for not "making good progress"
If you haven't done it yet highly recommended, will totally change your driving style and I do believe it affects the police attitude to you if stopped, I think it proves to them that you take your driving seriously.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The thing I love about these forums is the little bits of information you glean from others. I had no idea what you guys were talking about RE: IAM so I googled it. It's a great concept and I wish we had a similar organisation in Australia. Our motoring organisations do offer advanced driving courses but they are just one day courses.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
If you haven't done it yet highly recommended, will totally change your driving style and I do believe it affects the police attitude to you if stopped, I think it proves to them that you take your driving seriously.
During "the Troubles" in Northern Ireland, there used to be police and army check points set up on various roads from time to time - and yes, they did stop a lot of attacks.
Sometimes the terrorist groups would set up fake check points (i.e. dress as police/army) in the hope that they'd get a policeman turn up in his civvies. In the early days, the police would show their warrant cards to get through proper check points, but if they showed them to a fake check point, it normally meant they got followed home or just taken out and shot.
So the police stopped showing their warrant cards, and would show their driving licences, like everyone else.
One group of police had a way round it - they showed their advanced driving licence. All police drivers in NI had to have their IAM test, so they used that as a sign. I made sure my IAM card was in my driving licence and I'd hand it over with the card showing. Most of the time I'd get waved through without any questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts