Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Girls and boys,

Can we have your attention please?

Since we've had so many new joiners since this was last widely advertised, we're bringing this back under your attention.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thought about 'TEAM AO' folding for a good cause?

[email protected] - Download the [email protected] software application

What is [email protected]???
[email protected] is a distributed computing project that is run by the Pandegroup at Stanford University. Their goal is to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases.

What are proteins and why do they "fold"?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

For a protein to fold or misfold takes very little time, but it is hugely complicated. Analyses of the folding of even the simplest of proteins requires significant super computing power. The amount of computing power required to perform these gargantuan calculations and to come up with any worthwhile results is massive and most supercomputers today would buckle under the pressure. This is where we come into the picture with the [email protected] software.

Will [email protected] make my PC run more slowly?
No it will not. When your computer would otherwise be idle, the software grabs the surplus cpu cycles for the benefit of this research and processes some of the data. When your computer needs to do some work for you the [email protected] program immediately stops.

Join the growing AO team 163049

Current active AO users: 40

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm folding on my own currently...

Don't leave me hanging there, good folk of AlfaOwner.The team ID is 163049 - just download the app and start folding - please!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've read that some of the Folding at Home CPUs are being devoted to COVID-19 research.
Yes FAH has new projects devoted to cov19 and they are assigned by default, unless you opt out.
"Coreweave donated 6000 gpus"
Good luck with getting any work to do. My FAH client has been starved of work to do. Twiddling thumbs for hours.
I'd like to help, but I can't. But the big boys are.. It all matters...

·
Administrator
7,593 Posts
Am unable fold since the web based app has been discontinued. Am unable to install the client software on work PC. Shame as I was plodding along quite nicely.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I've looked at this post...I've looked at the Folding at home website.....and I can honestly say I'm none the wiser!!!

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[email protected] is currently folding for Corona - vaccine, cure, anything so please take a bit of time and start up that little application that uses free computing time on your PC or laptop to advance the cause of medicine.

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've looked at this post...I've looked at the Folding at home website.....and I can honestly say I'm none the wiser!!!
Perhaps this will help:

What is [email protected]???

[email protected] is a distributed computing project that is run by the Pandegroup at Stanford University. Their goal is to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases.

What are proteins and why do they "fold"?

Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

For a protein to fold or misfold takes very little time, but it is hugely complicated. Analyses of the folding of even the simplest of proteins requires significant super computing power. The amount of computing power required to perform these gargantuan calculations and to come up with any worthwhile results is massive and most supercomputers today would buckle under the pressure. This is where we come into the picture with the [email protected] software.

The Alfaowner.com Folding Team

Started in April 2009, the AO Team is now in 311th place out of 187943 teams, having overtaken pretty well all of the other car club based teams, and with the help of a few additional members will be poised to surge into the top 300.

Will [email protected] make my PC run more slowly?

No it will not. When your computer would otherwise be idle, the software grabs the surplus cpu cycles for the benefit of this research and processes some of the data. When your computer needs to do some work for you the [email protected] program immediately stops.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I have installed it on my main Linux dev machine figuring I might as well heat the room with FLOPS rather than a heater. I had a bit of a struggle getting the software to use the GPU rather than the CPU - the GPU is so much more efficient for folding. GPU usage throttling doesn't appear to work on Linux so doing anything with graphics (including browsing) while it's running is a painful experience. I may end up running it overnight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've just joined the team and given it a plug on the AROC forums. I'd been sitting there for a couple of days with no work units, but they seem to be allocating again. I have a couple of laptops contributing to the effort now.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yes, sometimes you have to wait for a Work Unit.

Yesterday I tried to see if I could use the integrated graphics in the CPU to handle the display and leave the NVIDIA graphics card to do the folding. It's supposed to be possible but it's much more complicated than I anticipated so I gave up.

This morning I found the GPU fan being a bit more noisy than usual, no doubt due to the extra use. I can't really afford to lose this card so I've installed an older card in addition and moved the folding onto this one instead. This has the benefit of freeing up the first for normal graphics but does mean less folding performance - it seems to take twice as long for a similar WU size.

FAH really does seem to be hard on fans - this is the second fan problem it has provoked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts