Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I agree, I'm all for drivers aids, but frankly if a driver is too dumb to be able to turn their lights on perhaps they shouldn't be behind the wheel :eek:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with Gary.
A couple of days ago going to work on a main trunk road in the half light everyone had their lights on except one! Guess who that was? A BSM school car!!! It was still so dark I couldn't even see if there was one or two people in the car. That's just plain stupid!!!

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
We have them around here too. in the dark they use foglights but in the fog they don't uses them.

They must be a thick as the fog.

P

·
0 Posts
OK I like having foglights on the car as much as the next man - from an aesthetic point of view in that they give the car a 'sporty' appearance.

But why oh why must these fuds think they are doing the forest stage of the UK Rally on city streets with not a wisp of fog,mist or even rain present. Oh....and why do they have to drive Renault Clio's and Meganes generally?
HAHAHA. Exactly. If you have Xenons on your Alfa you realize that the foglights, high beams do ABSOLUTELY nothing to improve vision in any place with even a candlepower of outside lighting around.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
My question was, I guess, more of an ironic reflection of the sophistication of the lights not being matched by the brains of the car's owner who's failed to recognise that conditions warrant turning on the damn things on.
The more the car does on its own, the less people thing about what they need to do :(

Excuse me sir, are you the driver of this car?
Well it is an automatic officer, but I like to be there, just in case :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
The reason why you see so many BMW drivers with the front fogs on is the same reason why you see so many old Vauxhalls & Jap cars driving around with rear fig light on is... on BMW's, they don't go off when you switch the lights/ignition off... so on they stay. Same on Japcrap, but as foglights are a Europe-only afterthought, the switch is usually somewhere really obscure, it may have a little red diode on it, but (as per BMW's) on it stays.

The latest "retard club" members seem to be Xsara Picasso drivers, who must think it make them cool. It'll take more than foglights....

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
The reason why you see so many BMW drivers with the front fogs on is the same reason why you see so many old Vauxhalls & Jap cars driving around with rear fig light on is... on BMW's, they don't go off when you switch the lights/ignition off... so on they stay. Same on Japcrap, but as foglights are a Europe-only afterthought, the switch is usually somewhere really obscure, it may have a little red diode on it, but (as per BMW's) on it stays....
?? So if it's because the switch was an afterthought, why so many Citroens and Renaults driving around with fogs on?

·
Registered
683 Posts
?? So if it's because the switch was an afterthought, why so many Citroens and Renaults driving around with fogs on?
a) because the driver thinks foglights spraying out light everywhere do the same job as dipped beams;
b) because once they switch them on, they don't cancel themselves (Alfa's do, so do VW's, french cars don't) - next time you switch the lights on, the foglights will come on again
c) switches are an afterthought & crudely wired in on Japanese cars - no logic or self-cancelling.

What beats me is that whilst some people make a conscious decision to switch foglights on, they can't seem to make the same decision about switching them off. I always know when it's foggy in Dover... because I join the M20 at Maidstone & there's still foglights everywhere (front & rear) even though it's not foggy anymore.
Maidstone is 40 miles(ish) from Dover :mad:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Resurrecting this stalled post; after a mildly foggy drive to the office this morning. The ignoramuses were out in force. Ignorant of the law regarding fog lights, and, more dangerously, ignorant of the PURPOSE of fog lights. Discounting those who don't actually realise they have them switched on (who incidentally should be banned from driving for life), those who put them on in addition to their dipped headlights at the first hint of fog are demonstrating nothing more than their ignorance of, and disregard for, the law.
Front fog lights are primarily intended for the benefit of the driver of the vehicle, when the fog is severe enough to render dipped headlights a hindrance to visibility of the road immediately ahead. Hence, front fog lights should NEVER be used in conjunction with headlights.
Fog lights which dazzle oncoming drivers are ILLEGAL, in any conditions, day or night.
It is also ILLEGAL to have front (or rear) fog lights on when road conditions do not dictate their use.
:rant:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Resurrecting this stalled post; after a mildly foggy drive to the office this morning. The ignoramuses were out in force. Ignorant of the law regarding fog lights, and, more dangerously, ignorant of the PURPOSE of fog lights. Discounting those who don't actually realise they have them switched on (who incidentally should be banned from driving for life), those who put them on in addition to their dipped headlights at the first hint of fog are demonstrating nothing more than their ignorance of, and disregard for, the law.
Front fog lights are primarily intended for the benefit of the driver of the vehicle, when the fog is severe enough to render dipped headlights a hindrance to visibility of the road immediately ahead. Hence, front fog lights should NEVER be used in conjunction with headlights.
Fog lights which dazzle oncoming drivers are ILLEGAL, in any conditions, day or night.
It is also ILLEGAL to have front (or rear) fog lights on when road conditions do not dictate their use.
But drivers with it being foggy today they are like a watch that doesn't go ...exactly right twice a day..Well the old analogue watch.

You are 100pc bang on...Headlights completely useless in severe for and falling snow...If I recall correctly I have to put geadlights on to switch on the rear fogs and then return to sidies and the rear fogs stay on.

My pet hate is headlights which are not aligned corredctly OR some tube has put the bulb in upside down Now that blinds you and the driving tube doesn't even know.

Pomeo

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
..Front fog lights are primarily intended for the benefit of the driver of the vehicle, when the fog is severe enough to render dipped headlights a hindrance to visibility of the road immediately ahead. Hence, front fog lights should NEVER be used in conjunction with headlights.

You'd think therefore, that the manufacturers and legislators would have insisted that the main beam be automatically switched off when the front fogs are engaged?

That would certainly solve most of the problems, including the chav habit!

·
Registered
368 Posts
And I just want to KILL the blind b*^$d postman who always leaves his van with headlights AND foglights on whilst he gets out and does his deliveries. Worst bit is that he always bl00dy parks on the wrong side of the road facing the oncoming traffic, so you can't see a (*^% thing past him F$%^^&g selfish sh1te faced git :rant: :rant: Probably thieves little kids Xmas money as well....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
And I just want to KILL the blind b*^$d postman who always leaves his van with headlights AND foglights on whilst he gets out and does his deliveries. Worst bit is that he always bl00dy parks on the wrong side of the road facing the oncoming traffic, so you can't see a (*^% thing past him F$%^^&g selfish sh1te faced git :rant: :rant: Probably thieves little kids Xmas money as well....
And that is illegal too!
The first time I ever do that, I'll get nicked, I know it :mad:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Sloucher did you get any mail this year?:lol:

Perhaps he thinks he's the pony express and the van is his horse.

Lets say a wee silent prayer for the diddies who have driven all summer and autumn with their fog lights on and now when they see the fog pressthe switch and in their blissfull ignorance switch them off:cheese:
Thats why the prats are driving about today (a foggy one)with NO LIGHTS ON.

Pomeo

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Just a further message to all the fog light numpties out there.

If we are sat in a stationary queue of traffic, I quite clearly know you are there, so you don't need your great big red rear foggers glowing away! Switch the damn things off will you!!
I'm beginning to think that fog light misuse is so bad, and the times when you genuinely need them are so few that we'd be better off without them at all.
:xmas:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Its getting rediculous now, nearly every other car I see on the road has its fog's on! :mad:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Last night some car over took me, 100 yeard further on you could see some mist/low cloud about 50 foot from the ground, so hte idiot put his rear fog lights on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm beginning to think that fog light misuse is so bad, and the times when you genuinely need them are so few that we'd be better off without them at all.
:xmas:
I think I might have mentioned earlier in this thread that my boss did try to get them banned whilst he was a member of the ligislative comitee that governs lighting in the UK. Unfortunately he failed. But a lot of us in the lighting industry are against fog lamps on the principal that it encourages you to drive at a speed that is unsafe for the conditions.
Artifically increasing the distance that a car infront is visible at doesn't change the fact that you still won't be able to stop in time if there is something else in the road that isn't as brightly lit (cyclists, pedestrians, debris etc). Also, in conditions where fog lamps are 'required' you can be following a car at a distance where you can just about see his fog lamps, but you have no idea if he is braking or not...fog lamps are 2.5 times the intensity of stop lamps!! The car infront could actually come to a complete stop and you wouldn't even know he was braking until the distance between you and him had more than halved. Now tell me you could stop in time!!
No, fog lamps should be banned. You should drive at a speed where you can stop in the distance that you can see...in all conditions even if that means you can only do 5mph on a motorway.:rant:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts