Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no this isnt a rant about chavs in their saxos who think they look cool by having their fog lights on when its not foggy, we all know they are **** but.....

this is a rant about the morons who all turn their fog lights on at the first sign of a bit of wispy mist 2 miles up the road or at the first hint of rain:rolleyes:

first of all it illustrates a total lack of knowledge of the highway code and second it shows how dim they are,

what is so difficult about being able to figure out when to use fog lights????

if you can see the rear lights of the car 100 yrds up the road its a good bet the car 30ft behind you can see yours so TURN YOUR FECKING FOG LIGHTS OFF YOU CLUELESS MORON:rant: and stop dazzling eveyone, do you drive with you windscreen wipers on when its not raining? no? then dont drive with fog lights on when its not foggy:tut:

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
while i pretty much agree, the level of blinding varies from car to car. Earlier Puntos and Pug 406s have massive and extremely bright front fogs - on other cars, it's not so bad.

My VW has a great idea. It uses a dash mounted rotary dial to turn the lights on. To put the rear fog on, you turn the dial clockwise to put dipped lights on, then pull the dial out, toward you. When you finish your journey, as you turn the dial anti-clockwise to turn the lights off, it automatically pulls 'in' meaning you cancel the fog light, so you can't ever start your next journey with the foglight accidentally blazing away.

It was such a good idea that VW ditched it - people like buttons and switches. More buttons good, apparently.

·
Super Moderator
85,828 Posts
I still don't understand why some people are so annoyed/paranoid about fog lights :confused:

Fair enough regarding rear fogs but for me front fogs are not a problem, they project a low cast beam so if properly aligned they shouldn't cause oncoming traffic a problem

J

·
0 Posts
the whole rear for light in the rain thing :mad:

yesterday i am on the A38 its raining, not heavy but enough to have the wipers on, this muppet in a rover metrot switched his lights on and then his rear fogs, this was enough to ensure the effectiveness of the brake lights were shielded.
So i flicked my main beam on, now its broad daylight at this point, i may as well have lit the blue touch paper, the driver in the Metrot went mental, hauled on the brakes, slowed right down and started with the hand signals, i pulled off the A38 and he followed me, at the next lights he pulled up, wound down the window and started bawling me out about main beam, i politely told him that his rear fog lights were so bright that they shielded the brakelights and if someone ran onto him it would be his fault.....he was unrepentant....

I only hope that if this ever happens he is in a stronger car than a Metrot

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
while i pretty much agree, the level of blinding varies from car to car. Earlier Puntos and Pug 406s have massive and extremely bright front fogs - on other cars, it's not so bad.

My VW has a great idea. It uses a dash mounted rotary dial to turn the lights on. To put the rear fog on, you turn the dial clockwise to put dipped lights on, then pull the dial out, toward you. When you finish your journey, as you turn the dial anti-clockwise to turn the lights off, it automatically pulls 'in' meaning you cancel the fog light, so you can't ever start your next journey with the foglight accidentally blazing away.

It was such a good idea that VW ditched it - people like buttons and switches. More buttons good, apparently.
The front and rear fog light switches on the 159 are also self-cancelling so that they switch off with the ignition and the fog lights are not accidentally left on the next time the car is started. See - Alfa has some good ideas too:)

J

·
0 Posts
The front and rear fog light switches on the 159 are also self-cancelling so that they switch off with the ignition and the fog lights are not accidentally left on the next time the car is started. See - Alfa has some good ideas too:)
156's are the same as well, and i believe the 916's were as well

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
156's are the same as well, and i believe the 916's were as well
You actually have to physically push a button on the 166 and its positioned in a such a way that when changing volume it is possible to accidently knock the switch and given the low intensity of the Diode its only possible to notice the Fog lights are on:

a) When you pull up to another driver
b) At night, when the diode is then brighter for the driver to see

Of course this is all irrelevant cos I is a chav, ignorant Barry boy, who just drives wiv my fog lights on in all wevvers and all times ov da day, innit.

;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
The problem with front fog lights is actually the name. They are nothing to do with fog, what they are for is low speed driving where you need to illuminate the road immediately in front of the car. OK when it is really foggy you hopefully will be driving really slow and hence making use of the lights. Using them at normal speeds is not a great idea because it is interfering with your distance vision, at anything above 20 mph it's of no use at all illuminating the road 20 ft in front of the car. It makes me laugh when people say they can see better with fog lights on, you can't see the important bits of the road, the bit that the headlight designer has carefully illuminated for you without producing a scattering pool of light immediately in front of the car! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts