1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
It will be back on the road by the end of the week

M

·
0 Posts
I reckon if you think about how fast 120 mph is, then you would expect that terrible carnage. All the same, it's nasty to watch.:eek:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Can't beat a bit of destruction :D

Ending statement was lame, are we really gonna think twice before travelling at 60mph?...

K

·
0 Posts
a concrete wall is a bit different to hitting a car though, cars have a bit more 'give' than solid concrete :lol:
I beleive MK1 Focuses are a bit on the soft side so if you're going to stack it at that sort of speed, try to hit one of those to soften the impact a bit.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
a concrete wall is a bit different to hitting a car though, cars have a bit more 'give' than solid concrete :lol:
maybe :) but if a Focus traveling at 120mph struck another Focus head on traveling at 120mph, the results would be the same as hitting that wall at 120mph; in other words, you'd still be toast (

K

·
0 Posts
maybe :) but if a Focus traveling at 120mph struck another Focus head on traveling at 120mph, the results would be the same as hitting that wall at 120mph; in other words, you'd still be toast (
That would give a closing speed of 240MPH. you'd be seriously burnt toast. They would have to use a hose to get your remains out of the car.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
That would give a closing speed of 240MPH.
nope ;-)

two focus colliding head on both traveling at 120mph = the same damage as one focus hitting the concrete at 120mph. Something to do with opposing forces cancelling each other out, IIRC (as this is physics, my 'IIRC' is probably wrong!)

'closing speed' i.e adding up the two speeds, is a myth.

for example...if I'm driving next to you on the motorway at 70mph, and you're driving at 70mph, we don't have a combined top speed of 140mph; I'm still doing 70, and you're still doing 70...there's no '140'mph.

This explains it better than I can: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vCuE4KaUU

·
Registered
37,774 Posts
nope ;-)

two focus colliding head on both traveling at 120mph = the same damage as one focus hitting the concrete at 120mph. Something to do with opposing forces cancelling each other out, IIRC (as this is physics, my 'IIRC' is probably wrong!)

for example...if I'm driving next to you on the motorway at 70mph, and you're driving at 70mph, we don't have a combined top speed of 140mph; I'm still doing 70, and you're still doing 70...there's no '140'mph.

MythBusters - Mythssion Control Crash Force part 1 of 2 - YouTube
I am sure the opposing forces don't cancel out completely, and there is some adding of speed.

Otherwise if you crashed into a stationary car there would be no damage.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
you are probably correct. my handle on physics is shaky ;-)

the video explains it better :) worth a watch.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
The force is shared between the two objects. The amount of damage is down to the rigidity of each object. The weaker structure will receive the largest amount of damage.

So, a completely solid object that will absorb no force will reflect that force back into the car. If the car was travelling at 120mph, that would be the full 120mph damage.

Two identical cars (therefore able to absorb the same force) that are both travelling at 60mph will each receive an identical share of the 120mph total force, equating to 60mph worth of damage each.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Inelastic collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also the thing that kills you is normally one or more of
the deceleration (the "Princess Diana effect")
or the transfer of kinetic energy to your body through collision with a rigid surface
or impalement (penetration of vital organs) by a part of the vehicle or impacted object
or fire

Now wear a seatbelt, drive within the speed limit (!) / visibility limit / your ability / weather conditions / road surface ....

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
nope ;-)

MythBusters - Mythssion Control Crash Force part 1 of 2 - YouTube
Was just about to link to the mythbusters episode :lol:

Something to do with Newton's laws, every action has an equal and opposite reaction (summin like dat innit).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts