Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody used these? Are these a newer version of the Access speaker.
I've been reading up on the Access speakers and they seem very old since 1st produced.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Interesting - you made me have a look at their websites.

It seems that the Access series has been dropped in favour of Performance and Integration. The latter looks like a very basic drop-in series as the name suggests, for easy replacement of factory speakers (small/thin frames, small tweeters, inline crossover).

Performance looks more like the genuine Access replacement, of higher quality and a complete range including subwoofers.

:)

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
anybody used these? Are these a newer version of the Access speaker.
I've been reading up on the Access speakers and they seem very old since 1st produced.
I replaced all speakers in my two 147s with Focal Polyglass 165 V2 and 165 VB. Is this helpful? anything particular you want to know?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

In short, I purchased a 2007 147 JTD collezione for my girlfriend and it came with a sony gt25 headunit.
The sound is very poor and she wants it improved. In the meantime she's pulled the door handle off.
So I'm planning on fitting the speakers at the same time. It only has standard speakers, so was looking at Focals speakers to improve things. I would like to just replace the 6.5's and tweeters in the car. (+ dynamat)
I suppose an amp is definately needed..?
Also do you think the headunit needs changing to maybe an Alpine?
Do you have a preference to which Focal speakers and amp if needed?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Entry level speakers are designed to run nicely from the headunit, no amplifier. However, an amplifier will help.

But higher quality speakers will benefit from an amplifier more. For example, if you chose Focal Polyglass speakers, you would definitely want an amplifier.

Speakers vary a lot. So it's important to audition them first, in an ICE store, to ensure you like their sound. Many people do not like Focal! In particular, the treble/tweeter can be a little too loud/pronounced, particularly with their cheaper speakers; however, Performance series may be different now.

Focal SOLID amplifiers are very good.

Alpine make very good headunits, but relatively expensive. You can also have a look at Pioneer and JVC.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts