Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth getting a lightened flywheel? Pros, cons is it worth it, where would I get on from, how much?

Thanks

James

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Don't think you can buy one off the shelf anywhere. Last time I spoke to Ned at AutoLusso he had a standard 2.5 V6 flywheel at a local engineering shop, to see how much could be taken off it.

GTA flywheel is already 0.5kg lighter than a 2.5 flywheel (8.5 kg vs 8kg), but maybe you could get the weight down to 5kg or so, if it was made from a different material?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Anyone got some titanium lying around :lol:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone got some titanium lying around :lol:
Ah yes Jason, got some in my pocket! Oh its the silver wrapper off my packet of polos:p

You've been playing Gran Turismo :)
Not for years, I had the first two on ps1 but went crap after that.:lol:

Ok so I want to get abit more power and apart from a full exhaust what else can I do (beside supercharging her:rolleyes: if only I had the money!) I already have induction kit and remap?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Ah yes Jason, got some in my pocket! Oh its the silver wrapper off my packet of polos:p

Not for years, I had the first two on ps1 but went crap after that.:lol:

Ok so I want to get abit more power and apart from a full exhaust what else can I do (beside supercharging her:rolleyes: if only I had the money!) I already have induction kit and remap?
Get that supersprint manifold.. Only £1920! :eek:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
£1920:eek: Can you sub me then Joe? Has you Ragazon pipe appeared yet?

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Having a lightened flywheel doesn't give you any more power as such. It just speeds up the response of the engine - the engine has less weight to accelerate. If you go too extreme it can make for a horrible road car so be careful!

Can you get uprated cams for the 3.2?
Throttle bodies?
3.8 conversion?
:D

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having a lightened flywheel doesn't give you any more power as such. It just speeds up the response of the engine - the engine has less weight to accelerate. If you go too extreme it can make for a horrible road car so be careful!

Can you get uprated cams for the 3.2?
Throttle bodies?
3.8 conversion?
:D
Yep thats what I thought Rick, I have seen the Autodelta cam and they are dam expensive!

Autodelta Shop

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
£1920:eek: Can you sub me then Joe? Has you Ragazon pipe appeared yet?
It used to be £3k for the full SS system, including cats - its now £4k !

I almost bought the backbox for £480 in May, bought it earlier in the month and its gone upto £600 :(

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It used to be £3k for the full SS system, including cats - its now £4k !

I almost bought the backbox for £480 in May, bought it earlier in the month and its gone upto £600 :(
:eek: ! Was it worth the money?

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dunno, hoping to get it fitted on Saturday!
Be sure to let us know the results, did you start a thread about it? How come you went for Supersprint as apposed to Raggazon thats cheaper?

Good luck with it, hope its worth the lolly!

James

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
When I rebuilt my Twinspark, I have the flywheel lightened and balanced. I also had the crank, rods and pulleys balanced, and then balanced as an assembly. I can't remember what it cost, but think it was £130. It now runs with the balance shafts disconnected. I knew the engine would be much more responsive and also figured handling would be improved due to significantly reduced gyroscopic effect. I didn't consider this effect on acceleration though. I used Agra Precision Engineering in Dundee and asked them to use experience to what was right for a fast road engine. They did, and I'm very happy with the results. It does take a little more skill to keep the revs down yet keep it from stalling when manoevering. I'm sure they took off a good couple of kilos.

If someone looks at the back of the flywheel, there is a part which sits proud of the centre height. This goes most of the way out to the ring gear. What I had removed was this- so it is flat, and then about the same again so the bevel is not convex, but now concave. It goes out to a slightly larger radius as well. I wish I'd taken photos now.:rolleyes:

The engine has now done 5000 miles and is starting to loosen up. It is now starting to feel quicker than standard. Time to fit the induction kit and think about cams or just a remap. My original aim was to give it the sort of straight line go a 2.5 may have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts