Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
Can anyone tell me how to establish whether my Spider has a dual mass flywheel or not.
I need to replace the clutch ans want to get some idea of price first.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there I think its a single flywheel

I got my clutch replaced a few months ago.

It costed me around 1.1 grand. The part costed me $400 and labour was $500(which is understandable I guess).

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Should have said that it's the 3L V6 24v engine.
Quote so far is $780 labour and $700 for parts.
Is there way I can establish from the VIN what FW it is?
Tried phoning the agents Belcar who said "if it's not a diesel it's not a dual mass can't help you any further goodbye".

·
Registered
780 Posts
My understanding is that unless the previous owner has changed it to a DMF; then you will have an SMF.

Though do not take this as gospel. Wait for one of the more experience people on this forum to chime in.

But that is my understanding at least.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
I thought the phase 2 V6s at least had DMFs. Mine certainly did and I swapped it for SMF flywheel and GTA clutch when the clutch needed changing - this is almost standard practice here as they are seen to be cheaper and more reliable.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
All V6s have DMFs except for the very earliest, and I don't know when they changed. The DMF weighs a ton, costs a fortune and is usually in need of replacement when the clutch is. Conventional wisdom is to go back to a much cheaper and lighter solid flywheel from a 156 or GTA. It transforms the character from soft cruiser to urgent sportster but you do notice that slight judders are no longer damped out and smooth changes require more precision - but it is an improvement assuming you appreciate the sporty character of GTVs.

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
All V6s have DMFs except for the very earliest, and I don't know when they changed. The DMF weighs a ton, costs a fortune and is usually in need of replacement when the clutch is. Conventional wisdom is to go back to a much cheaper and lighter solid flywheel from a 156 or GTA. It transforms the character from soft cruiser to urgent sportster but you do notice that slight judders are no longer damped out and smooth changes require more precision - but it is an improvement assuming you appreciate the sporty character of GTVs.
We seem to agree Simon - almost.

I find the conversion (in my case 156 flywheel and GTA clutch) much lighter and smoother - no judder at all. Gear changes are quick, precise and smooth - and I rag it. Add a Q2 diff and it is a different car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts