Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the cam info.
Anybody recomend flushing out the old oil because its filthy. Also whats the final verdict on oil choice for the V6.

Oh and one more thing is there a washer on the sump drain plug ????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Carl

Advice for the twinspark is do not use a flush (sure this will be disagreed with!) but probably ok with a V6. Not tried yet!

I asked about oil for the V6 a while ago and didnt really get a definitive verdict, so long as its at least a semi-synthetic, about 5 or 10w you should be ok.

Sump plugs usually have a washer, I'd have to grovel under me car to check but its cold and dark outside at the moment eek!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the jobs I do usually attempt is an oil change. But I know from my Cinquecento Sporting that Italian cars sometimes dont have a sump washer, instead a long tapered threaded sump bolt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did an oil change on the twinspark and that had a washer.

Be very careful of the thread, lots of 155 owners have had problems with them stripping.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about Oil Choice ?? 5W or 10 ???
And has anybody flushed a V6 ????

I normally Flush a Ticking or tapping engine ( VW's are the worst !!) ......Then treat them to nice thick oil with an additive, but as I'm learning more about Alfa's Im understanding some diferent rules apply to them ....

Oh and on the Air filter debate !!!
I recently Sold a Late V6 on a P Plate which had a Filter Charge kit ( K&N or ITG I Think ?? ) ...It was running very rough. I replaced the whole assembly with the standard box & Pipes and a K&N panel filter in the box ......Problem solved .....It went like the clappers after !!!!

I have found on a lot of the cars I sell ( Mostly Cinquecento Sportings ), if they have had a filter mod then replacing it with the standard box and pipes and K&N panel usually sorts it out.
I think the only Car Iv had/Sold with a modded filter that actually improved the running and performance was a Mark 2 16v golf gti.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't understand why people think it's a good idea to use a 5W oil.

My owner's book says use a 10W40 oil and I'm guessing that Mr Romeo knows more about it.

Having said that, the V6 seems to have a fairly low oil requirement - I think it just needs an SF or SG grade oil. Something like Selenia 20K or Shell Helix semi-synthetics are SM.

The only "oil worry" then seems to be just keeping the level topped up and changing it frequently.

My lad did have a sump washer.

Ralf S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts